Resolved When to purchase a new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rossagues, Jan 20, 2015.

  1. Rossagues, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015

    Rossagues macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #1
    Hi Forum,

    My MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009) has finally died and is unable to be repaired Apple.

    As purchasing a new MacBook Pro is a huge investment, I want to make sure I get the best for my money.

    When is the best time to purchase a new MacBook Pro?

    With the models getting refreshed each year, can we expect a BIG change this year, or is it safe to purchase one around this time of the year?

    Are they're any real significant differences in the 2.2GHz and 2.5GHz models?

    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Ross
     
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    If you need it you need it...

    There will probably be an update to broadwell and a possible dGPU upgrade in the higher spec version around june this year but if you need one now you need one now.

    The speed differences are just that unless you are pegging all four cores at close to 100% most of the time the differences are not that great. If you need good performance under CUDA you'll want the dGPU version with the 750M (this card is getting long in the tooth now and has been far surpassed by NVIDIA latest offerings).

    If you are working mostly in open CL then the igpu will be just fine and the broadwell one will not be fantastically better maybe 15-20% faster...

    What it boils down to is if you can wait then it'll be better depending what you use it for but if you need one now then the current 15 inch macbook pro is a fantastic machine that'll see you good for years to come.

    I'd buy a late 2013 refurbished and save some cash and consider upgrading in 2-3 years time.
     
  3. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #3
    Thank you for the speedy response! I'm a graphic designer so I use multiple programs at once. The machine will be used each day for substantial amounts of time... I'ts practically a part of me.

    Would you recommend me getting a iMac for the price for the high end MacBook Pro?

    Thanks for the help,

    Ross
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    The best time is when Intel releases their broadwell chipset. Apple is in a holding pattern until intel releases the chipset (this summer).

    If you can wait 6 months then do so, if not, get one now.
     
  5. T'hain Esh Kelch, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015

    T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #5
    You will always get more for the money with an iMac compared to a MBP. It really comes down to wether you need to be portable or not.
     
  6. plastictoy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2014
    #6
    Skylake should have a big iGPU boost. GT4e has 72 EUs and 128MB od eDRAM, from the current 40/128MB on the 15" Macbook Pros. With the shrink and generational changes and better driver implementation, it should scale up linearly at the very least. Assuming Apple opts for Iris Pro again and the top configuration.

    But if you're not looking at the 15", then the other models should be pretty close through Skylake (so you're good as far as 2016 or 2017). Some tweaks but nothing you would really feel regret over.
     
  7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #7
    Hard decision.

    Tough call, if you don't need the portability then the iMac will be a better bet for the desktop class processor and more powerful mobile GPU's.

    It also gives you the option of that 5K screen which by all accounts is a thing of beauty and can give you huge images and 4K video to work on with space for your app menus and controls around the outside.

    It is also fantastic for just screen real estate but this can be acheived with the 15 inch rMBP and an external screen.

    If I didn't need portability I would be looking at the retina iMac if I was you I think you'll find it a massive bonus for increased workflow. If you need the portability then it's the top end 15 inch really with a monitor when in the office.
     
  8. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #8
    Thanks for all the help guys!

    I am going to purchase a MacBook Pro today.

    Can someone explain to me if it is worth purchasing 2.8GHz (Boost 4.0GHz) processor over 2.5GHz (Boost 3.7GHz)

    Once I find out this i shall purchase it!

    Thanks,

    Ross
     
  9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #9
    No, the 300 Mhz difference is so minute. Spend the money on a larger SSD or RAM preferably, instead.
     
  10. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #10
    + £400 just for of 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage? I don't think I'd use more than 512GB.

    It comes pre installed with 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM... Is that upgradable?

    I wouldn't mind spending + £150 for 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz.

    I just want it to be as fast as possible to run everything I need to designing on the go.

    Thanks,

    Ross
     
  11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #11
    Just go for the standard high-end 15" with the 750M. The processor bump is pretty insignificant.

    The processor upgrade is the least bang for your buck, unless you constantly do rendering.
     
  12. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #12
    Can you still have the option for a Matte Screen? I had this on my previous MacBook Pro. Apparently its a better option for designers.

    Thanks,

    Ross
     
  13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #13
    It's the reason why I still keep my early-2011 15" cMBP with matte screen.

    The retina panel still attracts glare like a solar panel outdoors.

    Unfortunately, there is no more matte option.
     
  14. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #14
    Unfortunately not, the Retina screen comes in glossy only.

    With regards to the CPU upgrade, unless your job depends on rendering or encoding video 10 minutes faster a day or some other high-end task, save yourself the money. Photoshop, Illustrator etc won't really leverage an extra 300 MHz to be noticeable, at all.

    Buy a case or bag for it, go out to a restaurant, save it for a rainy day - there definitely are better ways to spend £150.
     
  15. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #15
    Thank you for all the help! I have now purchased the right MacBook Pro for me!
     
  16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #16
    Ooooh top of the range

    I see you went for it good call, I hope it's as fast as you'd hoped I bet it is....
     
  17. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2013
    Location:
    New York
    #17
    Congrats on your new purchase! I, too, went top of the line when I purchased my rMBP and I couldn't be happier! Enjoy your new toy! :)
     
  18. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
  19. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

    Rossagues

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Location:
    Manchester, England
    #19

    Thank you all for the help!
     

Share This Page