When to sell iPhone 4S??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stayfly2407, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Everyone knows the 5s coming out this Oct, which i plan on getting. When do you think is the best time to get rid of my 4S to get the most i can get out of it? its a 32G/White/ with Lifeproof case. Im going to sell it then use that money towards the 5

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd sell it now, as iPhone 5 rumors are starting to creep into mainstream news, meaning more of the general public will know the iPhone 5 is coming shortly.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

On a Thursday....people always spend more on used products on Thursday. It's proven.

4. MeetJoe macrumors newbie

At what sell price?

how much you expect to get from selling your iPhone 4S?
    Let me know the depreciated value..

5. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Only bad thing about that is I would have to go back to my droid phone for three months:(

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Are we not jumping the gun here a bit ?

We know not what the new iphone looks like, or what exactly is under the hood.

Unless your an apple fanboy who will buy anything apple, you may even end up choosing to stay with the 4s.

The depreciation on apple iPhones in the Uk is low, and so a good return always stays with the iPhone.

I will make my decision when its been released and road tested !

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I dont know why people rush to sell. I always sell after I pickup the new iphone. Sold my 32gb 3GS for $300, Sold my 32GB iPhone 4 for $350. Im sure will sell my 64gb iPhone 4S for $450.

8. MeetJoe macrumors newbie

Thanks for the battery info

thanks.. the guide was really helpful

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No problem :) Let us know how it goes.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'd do it now while you can. Don't wait if you want to maximize value.

11. Arni99 macrumors regular

My 4s 64GB no simlock is on ebay right now...12 hours left...487 EUR.-
    I'm fine with my Nokia 808 Pureview ;).

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Amazon has decent trade in deals. $405 for 16gb 4s and $455 32gb 4s. Hassle free.

I shop a lot at amazon so that's like cash to me.

I just picked up a Nokia Lumia 900 on eBay last night mint condition for $225 with original box and case and screen protector included. The Lumia 900 is one of my favorite phones. I have brought and resold 2 months ago (didn't lose any money on deal since I got it for low price off craiglist to began with). LTE speeds in orlando with AT&T are amazing. Even better than Verizon LTE speeds with my Verizon LTE iPad.

I can use the Lumia for 1-3 months before next iPhone comes out. My net selling 32gb iPhone 4s vs acquiring Lumia 900 will be $230 extra in amazon credit.

I will apply the $230 to new full price iPhone since I won't have an upgrade.

13. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Personally, I wait until I have the new iPhone before selling my old one.

I do this everytime and get just over half of my money back for my old one. Which I am satisfied to get. One thing about the iPhone is that they have a really good second hand value.

14. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I do the same but I always have an upgrade thru att so I get atleast what I paid and sometimes make money.

15. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I finally upgraded my 4 to a 4s earlier this week via a subsidized upgrade with VZW. I am in no hurry to get the whatever the newest model turns out to be whenever it is released. Mainstream media is only regurgitating rumors from the rumor sites so, while unlikely, it is possible that there may not even be a new model until Spring. And, regardless of whether it is Oct or Mar/Apr/May.. I may not like the design. For example, I enjoy the current form factor. If the device is noticeably longer in order to accommodate a larger screen, I would prefer to stick with the pocket friendly 4s.

Things like LTE, faster processor, better cameras, etc. do not interest me yet. I rarely use 3g data as I'm within wifi range majority of the time, even when I travel. My apps ran plenty fast on my 4 and I don't even notice a performance improvement on my new 4s. Finally, the pics I take are usually spontaneous pics for reference.

Anyways, I'm not about to put all my eggs in one basket quite yet. Worse case scenario, if the next iPhone model offers something that I can't live without, I'll just sell this 4s and use one of the other 2 remaining upgrades I have available on my plan. The other people on my plan are quite content with their current devices despite my numerous offers to upgrade their phones.

16. Dimorphic macrumors member

Dimorphic

I wait until I'm holding my new phone before selling my current one. 32GB or higher iPhones don't rapidly depreciate in value.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sell it after you get the new iPhone. Is it really worth 20 € to go without your phone for 3-4+ months?

18. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I do this every year, I wait till it's announced than 1 week prior to release I list sell and I've never had to pay out of pocket

19. ecwhite4S macrumors 6502

Sell it when the 6 comes out. ;)

Haha I know a lot of people like to get every generation but I personally wouldn't get a new iPhone every year.

Every 2 years is really the best way to get the best bang for your buck.

Trying to stay on top of the competition these days is a daunting task.

20. batting1000 macrumors 604

Upgrade to the 5, then sell it. It'll still be the same price afterwards.

----------

This.

Unless you can be without a phone fort a few weeks - a few months, sell it after.

21. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

I get the new ones every year, I don't like having outdated stuff that's just me. From the iPads to macs to iPhones I like to have the newest

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

A lot of people especially with AT&T have been spoiled by early full subsidy upgrades with every iPhone.

Even after selling iPhone 4s for $300-450 before sixth generation iPhone comes out. Be prepared to pay full $650-850 for next iPhone since AT&T did away with 12 month upgrades with the full subsidy. So just be prepared to pay that amount.

Those who think they won't have to pay an extra dine after selling need to think twice. Like me. I am going to get $450 for my 32gb iPhone 4s. I know and am prepared to pay the full $750 plus taxes for next iPhone knowing full well the full subsidy upgrade is not available for me at 12 months anymore.

23. chokem macrumors 6502

I sold my i4 the day my 4S came in. I couldn't stand to be on a non smartphone even for a short length of time. I had a buyer for my i4 when I pre ordered the 4S, and it was understood he could have the phone the day my new one arrived.

24. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume you plan on getting another 32g like me, it'll be $729 plus taxes not 750

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You'd want to sell it jailbroken and unlocked to get the highest price.

If you look at the ebay price trend for the iPhone 4, it was highest shortly before the iPhone 4S was unveiled then it dropped rapidly right after it streeted (due to the large number of iPhone 4 being ebayed). However, if you wait 9 or so weeks, it'll shoot right up about $40 before dropping again. So the best time to sell is either before the next generation iPhone is unveiled or about 9 weeks after its introduction. The difference between the two price points was only $15.