when touching left side of screen in safari...scrolls to top of page???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Jul 7, 2009.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I was checking out some different websites over the weekend on my iphone, using Safari.

I noticed several times when touching the left side of the screen, close to the bottom or near the middle the page would scroll upwards. Not as fast as when you touch the time at the top of the screen, but it would still scroll maybe at half of that speed.

Is this a new feature? Has anyone else noticed this? Not complaining, I kinda like it....

Thanks guys and gals....

2. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I've noticed a few times while browsing a thread here that when I hit the screen down around the page numbers the damn thing will scroll to the top. Thankfully there are pages numbers up there too.

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Anyone else ever come across the behaviour I mentioned above?

Funny what the person above mentioned because I could swear one of the pages said behaviour happened on was the main rumors page when I was reading an article.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about what you're describing, but on mobile safari, if you tap the clock bar at the top, a page will scroll right to the top.

5. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Did you even bother reading his post?:confused:

6. rc51aaron macrumors member

Lol no time to read the question just time to give a useless answer. Lol.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I believe this is a bug because it's counter intuitive and backwards from how scrolling on the iPhone works. I've definitely seen this behavior. You aren't crazy.

8. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Yes, I did. And as I said I am unsure about the issue he was describing, but I was clarifying to the second post that the behaviour of scrolling right to the top is a feature.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just to clarify, for me at least, it only scrolls until I let go. So basically instead of it scrolling down the page when you flick up (as expected) it scrolls up towards the top.

10. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

11. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Yeah. Hmm, now I reread the second post, I can see it meaning something else again, like exhibiting the odd behaviour mentioned in the first post.

Anyway, what you are describing here sounds a little bit like having a scroll bar, a la contacts. That would actually be kinda useful.

Getting even more off topic, as I have never really experienced any of this, I find it a little disconcerting sometimes, that the screen scrolls down when you swipe down, so that it is 1:1 with your finger. Then in Safari on your mac, you scroll down with two fingers, but the scroll bar moves down, and the page moves up. I realise that the input methods have a different heritage, just that sometimes I use my iPhone a lot then when I switch to a computer, I find myself thinking I'm 'grabbing' the safari window and swipe down to tray and move the page down (ie scroll up).

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's not trust me. It just randomly occurs when you least expect it so it throws you off. This is why I believe it's a bug.

The same thing happens to me! At least it makes me laugh and then sadly realize how awesome a touch mac tablet would be. It would be game changing for notebooks I'm sure. Heck, I already use my iPhone a lot more than my Mac now. The same is true of most of my friends who have an iPhone.

13. Moe UK macrumors regular

I have had it happen too, although never on purpose. Would be usefull if you could make the screen scrowl down automaticly at a slower pace for forum surfing.

14. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11