When Verizon iPhone 4S is unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profinite, Nov 17, 2011.

1. profinite macrumors member

I understand that, after a certain number of days in good customer standing, Verizon will unlock your iPhone 4S. Which part(s) of the phone will be unlocked, GSM side and/or CDMA side? :confused:

2. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

GSM. You can't "unlock" CDMA.

And supposedly you can only use the GSM band outside of the United States.

3. profinite thread starter macrumors member

In other words, a GSM-unlocked Verizon-issued iPhone 4S cannot run on the AT&T circuit?

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

I have a dread

Hopefully one day their will be a software hack allowing sprint and Verizon iPhones to run on stateside carriers. I know vzw locked this feature out of the droid incredible 2, but I was, thru lots of trial and error and help from some great devi eventually able to get it to work on both AT&T and tMo, so this would make the CDMA IPhones great bc not only would they work on CDMA(the unlocked versions won't here n the states) but they would also work stateside for AT&T and tmo. This would be the one hack I'm waiting for that would make my day for good.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You are correct it won't work.

6. profinite thread starter macrumors member

I am curious as to how Apple accomplishes this. I thought that the iPhone 4S sold by AT&T, Verizon, etc. is identical, except for lock on each carrier.

Am I correct to assume that the iPhone 4S provided to Verizon by Apple has some internal electronic restriction on its GSM circuitry that prevents it from being recognized by AT&T and T-Mobile networks?

If so, is the restriction based on operating frequencies, or something else?

7. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

GSM. And it will only be unlocked to U.S carriers.

You won't be able to use it on T-Mobile or AT&T.