When we are likely to see a refresh of the new 2016 MBP TB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBrooker, Dec 5, 2016.

1. iBrooker macrumors 6502

When do you think we will see the following 'upgraded'?

- Processor
    - Battery life
    - GPU
    - 4K display
    - Keyboard

It seems these are the things that matter to most, personally the big issue for me (if indeed all the reports are true) is battery life. If it's worse than my MacBook Air my new 15" MBP/TB will be going back :(

2. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

No one can advise you on this with any certainty whatsoever.

3. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't there usually a refresh of CPUs in the first half of the year? Or am I thinking of something else..

4. emailnotebox macrumors regular

emailnotebox

Well, all that op is asking for seems to be opinions not decidedly certain news, given that its a rumor site here. Any reasonably hypothetical response would be nice from us average users with average insight to the matter.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Don't count on a display or keyboard update. The keyboard is already a "2nd gen butterfly switch" and I've never heard of Apple updating just the keyboard on their notebooks. Same with the display. Apple has made quite clear across all their devices that they don't increase the resolution of the display just for the sake of it.(Which I like, because it isn't worth the compromises to performance and battery for the tiny practical differences of a higher than current retina display)

Processor, GPU, and Battery Life are of course givens.

6. pmau macrumors 65816

Please Please Please ... make that Trackpad smaller ...

7. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Of course discussion is why we are are. However, guessing upgrade dates/types is a false exercise which only serves to cause disappointment and panic (see most threads on here) when such expectations aren't met.

8. leman macrumors 604

I'll make my guesses

It depends on how aggressive Apple will want to play the updates (they used to be aggressive about it in the past). If they are aggressive, we will see a quad core Kaby Lake around summer/fall next year — but it will still be 16GB RAM. If they are less aggressive, then its going to be 2018, with possibility of 32GB RAM.

Not until we see some serious advances in battery tech. Right now the design parameter is 10 hours battery life (which makes sense for multiple reasons). They decide for battery capacity around that figure.

Probably 2018, I don't think there are any new suitable GPUs coming out next year.

Never. Apple doesn't play mainstream displays. And the PPI of their displays are sufficient while the quality is much better than the average run-of-the mill 4K display of contemporary laptops. Next step will be probably 3x increase of resolution, but not until the GPU/RAM can take it.

It just got redesigned. I don't know, another 4-6 years?

9. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

If it lasted that long I'd be happy... but apparently some people are getting as low as 3 to 5. This is really worrying.

Thanks also for the other info - that makes me feel better about not waiting until next year. The only thing that is still worrying me is battery life..

10. leman macrumors 604

Well, you can always evaluate the performance of your unit when you get it and return it if you are not satisfied. I assume you are talking about the 13 model? Again, a number of review sites get very good battery performance out of it (better than the previous 13" Pro). Its weird, true.

Its not info, its just guesses ;) There could be a Kaby Lake MBP refresh in the spring, with 2 hours more battery life for all we know. I just think its less likely, but who knows?

11. motime macrumors 6502

I will be happy with my 2015 rmbp until they provide a significant upgrade to the GPU and improve the battery life which seems to be lower than last year.

12. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

At the earliest next spring. More likely about a year from now, given Apple's past record with spec upgrades. I'm hoping for later rather than sooner since I just got one!

13. leman macrumors 604

Mmm, the new GPU is almost twice as fast. How much more significant do you want it?

14. iBrooker thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting the 15" :)

Stoppit! :p