When we get our phones should we...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Powrie, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Powrie macrumors 6502

Charge them all the way up to full.

Or drain the battery out then charge it.

2. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I would say drain all the way first then 100% full charge without touching, but it probably doesn't matter these days

3. Purplecks macrumors newbie

Charge up to full.

A Cycle is a cycle is a cycle is a cycle

4. DMHmac macrumors member

This is what should be done but I'm pretty sure the vast majority won't, including me! :D

5. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

as an apple employee told me...

once you receive the iPhone, don't charge it, use it until it is no longer charged, and charge it back to 100% before using it again. drain the battery at least one time per month.

m

6. kalexn macrumors 6502

I have always heard this as well. Apparently it is supposed to help your battery last longer as always having it fully charged can do more harm than good.

7. Mutherluver macrumors member

apple employee doesnt know a damn thing. it doesnt matter with li-poly batteries.

8. cbutters, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

cbutters macrumors member

All the old "memory effect" charging myths are related to old Ni-Cad batteries (nickel cadmium)

Modern Lithium Ion chemistry does not suffer from memory effects and doesn't need to be charged down to low states in order to get a good full charge later on.
    Rules for Li-Ion

-Avoid letting your battery state go very low or dead for long periods of time... this is the most harmful state for Lithium Ion chemistry batteries. YOU ARE BETTER OFF IN THE LONG RUN IF YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR PHONE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE... DONT LET IT GET BELOW 30% IF POSSIBLE AND YOU WILL HAVE A LONGER LASTING BATTERY IN YOUR PHONE... SEE CHART:

DOD=Depth of Discharge

100% DoD 300 – 500 cycles
    50% DoD 1,200 – 1,500 cycles
    25% DoD 2,000 – 2,500 cycles
    10% DoD 3,750 – 4,700 cycles

what this means is that if you fully deplete your battery (100% depth of discharge) you will only get 300-500 cycles,
    if you only deplete your battery by half, you will get 1,500 cycles.

-Charge to 100%, but don't keep the phone at 100% either... Don't let it sit on the charger for much longer than it takes to get to 100%... (although this probably isn't necessary with the logic that apple puts into their charging products... It stops charging the battery automatically.)

-If turning the phone off or putting it in storage... keep in a cool place at about 40-70 percent charged..

-Never leave your phone in a hot car... worst thing for a battery

Source: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

9. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

they do know something. he mentioned that it makes no difference, but that it's recommended to do that.

10. chris566 macrumors regular

From what I've always heard, it doesn't have any impact on the battery's life/strength, but it will lead to more accurate battery meter readings.

11. Mutherluver macrumors member

that is correct.

it just calibrates slightly better. barely noticable, if at all.

12. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

This is what Apple has told me. Draining the phone before charging it fully will make the battery meter more accurate.

13. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

Battery

Lithium ion batteries have no memory. Totally not necessary. I charge mine every night regardless of how much or little it's used. Two years later and the battery is fine. Same with my MBP however, it is good to discharge occasionally, perhaps every couple of months.

14. CDutch macrumors regular

I had a Genius Bar employee tell me just that a few months back when my sister was swapping out a phone.

15. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Either he gave you the wrong info, or you heard wrongly. Anyway, you know now!