When will Apple fix the Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FooArk, Oct 11, 2012.

1. FooArk macrumors 6502

Its terrible. I Can never connect, thus forcing me to use my cell data.:mad:

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Perhaps it's not the phones fault? I'm not having issues. Why should apple fix something if it's not a widespread problem that's not actually the phones fault? I haven't heard as much negativity about the wifi as I have with other issues so I apologize if this is actually a big deal.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Like the above poster said, it is not a widespread issue. You may be better off swapping out your phone.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I agree with the above posters... My earpiece quit working in my first phone (and it also suffered from SLOW WIFI) and I had the phone replaced.

The new phone I got doesn't have the issue.. Hardware swap for the win :cool:

5. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

First I should ask, can you not connect to any wifi? Or is it only certain places (home, business, hotel)? If its only your home, check your router settings I guess. I assume you have a current enough router/modem to support the wifi bands the iPhone can connect to.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I've had zero WiFi issues.

Curious if this is hardware or iOS related. If it's the latter I'm sure it'll be fixed in the next update.

GL!

7. 725032 Guest

8. FooArk thread starter macrumors 6502

works perfectly on my iPad 3 and iPhone 4...

its ****ing iPhone 5

9. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Well go to a store and try a different one. It's obviously not affecting every iPhone out there. You may have gotten a faulty unit.

10. Gewch macrumors member

It isn't impacting every phone out there, but there does seem to be an issue.

I have had Wifi issues since day one with the iP5 with my phone and my girlfriends iP5. I have been to the Genius bar several times - swapped her iP5 twice and mine once (total of 5 phones).

Our problem stems from using access points that use WPA2 AES. There is a huge discussion thread on the Apple forum about the issue. No problems on networks not encrypted with AES.

I also feel like something isn't quite right with the Wifi on the phone so I went out and bought a new Time Capsule (wanted one anyways) to test with. With the AP upstairs, I lose one bar of Wifi reception downstairs (all other devices are full). I can however walk halfway down the block before it finally disconnects from the AP and switches to 4G. Other iDevices do not suffer from the problem, only iP5.

As I'm sitting at work I am watching my wifi cycle connected to the AP to disconnected for a split-second, then automatically reconnects to the AP only to disconnect again 2 seconds later. This cycle is never ending and continues all day - which in turn explains my horrific battery life...

I'm hoping an iOS update can resolve the issue - I've already played the replacement device lottery. I had to go through 4 phones before I found one without scuffs that would suit as a replacement.

11. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Ah, I hadn't read any of that. Thanks for the heads up. Mine does seem to want to hang on to a wifi connection longer than it should, but that's about the only thing so far. I've been able to access and keep connection just about everywhere I go. Hopefully, it is just an OS issue then. And hopefully the fix doesn't ruin my wifi afterwards, haha.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Never had an issue with wifi. Is it every wifi or just your home wifi? If its just your home wifi, maybe the problem is there.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    Its driving me nuts:(
    Almost every wifi I try to connect it freezes, gets data for a few seconds and then nothing.
    This is crazy.
    Its both WPA2 and open wifi connections that does it to.

14. Gewch macrumors member

My issue has only been with WPA2 AES networks.

WPA2 works with TKIP, but not AES. I read somewhere (I'm sure it was on the 100+ page Apple thread about this issue) that it was Apple's implementation of the protocol.

Changing my network encryption standards seems to be a "workaround" but not a valid fix.

Since it is happenening on all AP's, you may want to make an appointment at the Genius bar for evaluation. I will see if I can dig up the Apple thread about this topic.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you read my post above?
    It happens to me all the time and not just on WPA2 encrypted wifi's.
    Even on open wifi networks, at AT&T, Mcdonalds, dunkin donuts, friends and family members houses. You name it.
    Its an issue and I still havent found a solution besides turning off wifi completely and use LTE or HSPA+.

16. Gewch macrumors member

I did, but my original response was to Blorzoga. I edited my initial response to reply to you instead of making a new post, but it looks like you beat me to it ;)

17. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sorry.
    Its starting to get old, even though I love this phone not be able to do anything at times on wifi its driving me crazy.:)

19. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I too had this issue.
    Finally replaced the unit, and it was indeed corrected. All networks I had issue with were Apple networks, and WPA2 security.

at the apple store of course it was fine (no encryption) :rolleyes:

20. Gewch macrumors member

I COMPLETELY understand your frustrations...

To top it off, I'm 100% certain that this Wifi issue is absolutely KILLING my battery life...

Try the Genius bar. Examine every replacement device they offer carefully and if it isn't up to standards ask for another. Throughout my issues, the Geniuses have been very understanding and allowed me to personally view 4 phones before finding a suitable replacement. Verify the wifi coverage in store before departing.

I know finding a replacement for a phone that isn't even 3 weeks old is a tough pill to swallow, especially with the recent scruitiny on their QA process. I'm sure it will be resolved with an iOS update, but who knows when that will be...sounds like you at least have LTE. If it's any consolation, I only have 4G :(

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I have the wifi problem from time-to-time. It just cuts out and DL speed drops to zero or sometimes just below 1 Mbps. It's not my home Wifi network because my other iOS-devices don't have this problem. My other iOS-devices were never "upgraded" to iOS 6 either, so iOS 6 may be the problem.

Either way, don't hold your breath for a fix from Apple. They are usually very slow to respond to end-user problems. I'll expect an update in a month or two.

22. Gewch macrumors member

23. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Definitely have wifi problems with my iphone 5 and the only other person I know with an iphone 5 also has the same problem. Something is definitely up but I'm not sure if it's hardware or software-related.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The thing is some times it does work with no problems and other times same wifi a few hours later nothing:D
    Its hard to understand why and how. Im not picky or anal like some people here if I were to get a replacement. As long as it works and looks right I wont get a magnifying glass or a microscope to example every inch.
    But Im willing to wait till 6.0.1 to see if they fix it with an update. I heard some iphone 4 and 4S models get it too and all happens on 6.0 when it never happened before for years on the same phone. So I have some hope its an issue that can be corrected with software.
    Also I dont feel like wasting time waiting forever at the Apple store, having to replace my screen protector, pay for another imei unlock for my at&t iphone 5:D

25. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

FYI, your IMEI unlock transfers ;), and the genius should put that screen protector on the new phone (they always do for me anyway).