When will iPhone 5 refurbished units become available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by romezone, Sep 19, 2012.

1. romezone macrumors newbie

I wasn't in the loop in regards to the earlier iPhones. How long does it usually take for refurbished units to become available?

2. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

3. DrewQuinz macrumors member

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Honestly, how can you expect an answer to this? :rolleyes:

Why don't you call Apple and ask them?

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

6. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

As soon as a bunch of customers read about "Scuff Gate" and try to intentionally damage their anodized aluminum to see if it's true.

(In all seriousness though, if you mean refurbished phones for the purposes of replacing damaged units, they initially just use brand new ones as replacements, just packaged in a special box... Once they get more returns then they'll begin refurbishing. To my knowledge though, they do not sell refurbished units to people who are not exchanging a broken one.)

7. romezone thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me phrase the question in a different way. How many months after the initial release did refurbished units of the 4 and 4s become available at places like at&t and best buy?

8. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

To the best of my knowledge they never carried refurbished ones... Does anyone know differently? The only time I've seen refurbished is for purposes of replacing a broken unit, not to be sold outright.

9. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I didn't seriously mean OP should call Apple. They'd react to the question the same way that we did.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Some months. So you would rather pay 50 bucks for a refurb phone than buying a new one now? They won't exactly be cheap you know.

11. formulatwo macrumors member

Is a refurb unit worth waiting months for a little money off?

12. Haydensi, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

Haydensi macrumors newbie

I buy all of my phones refurbished. I got an apple iPhone 4 right at a month after release for 75$ through AT&T (16 gig with 2 year upgrade) and have had no problems with it for the past 2 years.

My fiancé got a 4S 5 weeks after release with verizon for 85$ (16 gig with 2 year upgrade) and it has been going strong ever since.

My general guess would be anywhere from 4-6 weeks after release they start selling the refurbished phones to the public.

And to the guy up top no they don't just use refurbished phone as replacements. You can buy them as a 2 year upgrade off of your carriers website.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Don't know about retail refurbished models, but replacement refurbished iPhone 4 (in white boxes) showed up about two months after its debut.

14. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Apple does not sell iPhones in their refurbished store. You would have to do it through 3rd party (like cell phone companies). No one knows.