When will it be possible to do a clean install of 10.9 on the late 2013 rMBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pullman, Jun 15, 2014.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

The title says it. At the moment, afaik, it is only possible to restore the special build onto the computer using (internet) recovery.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I could be wrong but an internet recovery downloads the version of OSX that came with the MBP, so if you're laptop model didn't have 10.9 when you bought it, you may never get it as a clean install.

I could be wrong on this, but by bringing it back to factory fresh condition, that means resetting it back to what you had it originally.

3. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Internet recovery will download and install what the computer came with which for the late 2013 rMBP 13" means the special build Mavericks plus things like Garageband and iWork.

I want to make a complete fresh and clean install, thus the question.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I understand that, and my response what that the internet recovery will only give you what originally came with the computer. I don't think you'll ever get the ability to use that method for 10.9, if your computer didn't come with 10.9

5. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Mine came with 10.9 so with luck it will eventually/hopefully work.

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

You can download the Mavericks App from the App Store and make a bootable USB drive. There are tons of guides available online.

I personally have never used the recovery partition. I keep an image ready and load it up on a USB drive whenever I need to reinstall the OS.

Raptor

7. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

When you press command + R for the internet OS recovery install there is the option to go into disk utilities and you can wipe out the disk. This would essentially give you a clean install of 10.9.3 unless I missed the point and you want the older version for some reason?

8. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks Raptor. I've seen the guides but I was under the impression that a clean installation would not work because it would not be the "special" build that the computer came with.

Just so I understand - are you saying this will work and that the only potential drawback is that the recovery partition will not be installed? Thanks in advance.

As I have understood it, this will install the "fresh" installation that the computer came with. It will include pre-installed software. This will not allow the installation of a clean, bare bones installation.

P

9. raptor402 macrumors 6502

If you want a clean, barebone installation, that's the best way to go. I can't be sure about iWork and iLife suites, though. I think that you will be missing those on that install. You can probably download them again from the App Store using your Apple ID.

Unless I'm mistaken, a fresh install via USB also adds the recovery partition. I got two on mine (didn't remove the previous one when I moved the original HDD to the optibay).

Raptor

10. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The OS installer Internet Recovery downloads is basically the same you get from Mac App Store. It does not include iWork or iLife, which have to be downloaded separately.

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I'm lost here. My late 2013 MBPr came with iMovie, etc.

I recently made a copy of 10.9.3 on a bootable USB and reinstalled it completely.

This time around, no garage band, iMovie etc.

Of course I downloaded Numbers, Pages, etc later on.

But that's as "clean" as it gets. It wipes out everything and you start like the computers refurbished.

12. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

As I've understood it, for a Mac that came with Mavericks and pre-installed software, the recovery and internet recovery functions will re-install the OS build that the computer came with, thus including the pre-installed software. This is at least what I was told over at Apple Discussions a while back. So using the recovery functions I would not be able to do a clean install, which I would prefer since I like to set up computers from scratch.

In that Discussions thread a link was posted to a Macworld article about how to make a bootable Mavericks drive. In that article, there was a warning note (which I included in the Discussions thread) this would not work for those who had received Mavericks with their computers. This was the "warning":

I see now that the Macworld article has been updated (the warning is gone) and that there is also a second article about how to make a bootable Mavericks drive for newer Macs.

Interesting. Did you follow the new Macworld article above or something else?

Cheers
    Philip

13. laurihoefs, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

No, it installs the newest available build of the OS X version it shipped with. For example, if your computer shipped with 10.9.1, it would currently install 10.9.3. If your computer shipped with 10.8.0, it would currently install 10.8.5, etc.

The Internet Recovery image only contains OS X. iWork and iLife need to be downloaded separately from Mac App Store. Internet Recovery, or a USB installer made from the Mac App Store installer are as clean as an install of OS X ever gets.

edit:
    Here are the sizes of the installers:

Mavericks from Mac App Store 5,32 GB (MAS link)
    Mavericks from Internet Rescue ~5,3 GB (According to Macworld)

The installers are the same size. So there's really no chance that one would include the following:

iLife
    GarageBand 986 MB (MAS link)
    iMovie 1,97 GB (MAS link)
    iPhoto 1,15 GB (MAS link)
    in total ~ 4,11 GB

iWork
    Numbers 195 MB (MAS link)
    Keynote 434 MB (MAS link)
    Pages 298 MB (MAS link)
    in total ~ 1,04 GB

This is because when your computer was released, it was newer than the then publicly available Mavericks build, and so it included a special fork of OS X customized for that model. When the next Mavericks build was released, that fork was integrated back to the main builds.

This is pretty much the case with every new Mac hardware release. Earlier builds of OS X are not compatible with the new hardware, but every successive build will be.

So you can either use the Mac App Store installer to make a USB installer, or you can use Internet Recovery. Both will work, and both will install a clean install. IMHO Internet Recovery is the more convenient option if you only have one computer. But the USB installer can of course be reused later, and can be used on any other Mac too.

14. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

After you finish from internet os recovery, then you'll get a notification asking if you want to install ilife. It's not bundled with the OS installation.

15. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks very much for the exhaustive explanation. I'm very grateful. I'm thrilled I can get a fresh installation.

Thanks again
    P

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

laurihoefs is right on target there, but just one suggestion. You do not need to make a USB key to do a fresh install in your case. Just command-r boot to the recovery partition, use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD then click reinstall OS. That will give you a clean install of nothing but OS X 10.9.3.

17. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks very much. Just for the idiot of the group (me), why would I need a USB if I cmd-r to the recovery partition to install afresh from the internet onto the just-wiped computer?

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have say a Mac that came with Mountain Lion and had upgraded to Mavericks, if you put a new blank drive in and of Internet recovery that would get your Mountain Lion then you would have to also download Mavericks after to get Mavericks. So two ~5GB OS downloads. Doing the USB key route would only be one ~5GB download. In your case, your machine came with Mavericks so Internet recovery is going to get your straight to Mavericks so this is not needed.

Also, some people like the idea of having the USB key so they can do an OS install if they are away from a fast Internet connection like maybe at a hotel.

However, if you have a Time Machine backup to a USB disk you can restore to a blank drive directly from that, so that fills that need if you use Time Machine.

19. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the explanation. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced I want to go the USB route. But which guide should I follow, this one or this one (or some other one)?

20. stark4 macrumors 6502

I did clean install to my rMBP later 2013 yesterday. I check the version and it's OS X 10.9.3

So does my computer came with 10.9.3 in the beginning?

21. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Either follow this official guide from Apple or just use this free app

No... when you do a clean install the latest version gets downloaded from Apple's servers. So for example if your Mac came with 10.9.1 and you do a clean install now you will get 10.9.3 like you did.

22. stark4 macrumors 6502

exactly... so whoever said it will restore back to version it came with is wrong.

Every time you restore from the server it will restore to the latest version. i like it that way anyway. i don't have to download the update again.

23. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Does anyone know how to install iLife and iWork after the clean install? I'm selling my MacBook Pro and the buyer wants to have those free apps on their Apple ID.

I can't figure it out how as it doesn't come with any software from the recovery. My situation is the opposite to OP.

Thanks in advance,
    Henry

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can't. The buyer will need to purchase those apps under his own AppleID.

25. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Just go to the app store and install it. I don't understand why that's hard.

----------

go to the app store and download it. iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand. They were free for me anyway.