When will prepaid carriers get the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmoreraven, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoreraven, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

bmoreraven macrumors newbie

This will be the first iPhone release since the iPhone became available on prepaid networks like Cricket and Virgin Mobile. It will also be the first iPhone release since the iPhone became available on small, regional carriers (e.g. Appalachian Wireless, Alaska Communications, Pioneer Wireless, Golden State Cellular, etc.).

Do you think the iPhone 5 will be available on the regional and prepaid carriers at the same time it will be available on AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint?

Is the iPhone available on other prepaid carriers around the world and, if so, do they get updated at the same time as postpaid carriers?

2. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Even if they did release the new iPhone on prepaid or regional carriers, it would still cost much more then if buying it on post-carrier contractual agreement. The best way would be to buy them 100% off contract and factory unlocked that way you don't have to be tied down to that local regional carrier or prepaid carrier.

$749 for a 32GB model is a reasonable price to pay off contract, compare to perhaps some $549 on a regional or prepaid carrier and along with the headaches of having it locked down to that carrier, not a wise choice to make.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Says who? Pretty sure none of this has been released yet.

Iphone 5 has not been announced.

4. bmoreraven, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

bmoreraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, both responses are so dumb so far I remembered why I stopped posting here.

Not in the long run, no, but my question didn't have anything to do with the prepaid vs. postpaid, locked vs. unlocked debate.

I don't mind being locked down as long as I can use an international SIM, but my question didn't have anything to do with unlocked phones. Thanks for the unhelpful advice though.

Oh look at how clever you are! You get a gold star.

Of course the next iPhone ("iPhone 5") hasn't been released yet (you're only pretty sure about that?) but the iPhone 4S has been out for quite some time and since it's release it has it has tricked down to a number of smaller regional and prepaid carriers. I was simply curious if people thought the smaller regional and prepaid carriers would get the iPhone 5 at the same time as AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.

You were do busy being a smart ass to understand or respond to my question though.

Yes, how dare I ask people to speculate on unannounced products on a rumor site, I'm such an *******.

5. 617aircav Suspended

They will get it when iPhone 6 is close to release.

6. bmoreraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally someone responded to my question.

I think that's possible. My bet is the "iPhone 5" will only be available on networks that support LTE.

7. Demonface macrumors 6502a

I dont see why they wouldnt get the new iphone when it comes out. If T-Mobile US can get the iPhone that will make it even better .

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Sure, people can give you an answer. But, the value of the answer is worth about as much as soggy cereal.

Okay, here is an answer. It will be available on select regional carriers on January 1st.

9. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I'm thinking January 4th actually. Makes more sense

10. bmoreraven thread starter macrumors newbie

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

I use the 02 Network in the Uk.

Normally they provide the new iPhone 3-4 months after release for pay as you go customers.

Obviously this can be circumvented by buying direct from apple but i prefer to wait a while to see if all the bugs are ironed out !

12. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

The will probably get it a few months after the major carriers. Maybe like in January. I doubt it will be restricted to networks with LTE. As of now Sprint only has LTE in like 4 markets and it's still limited coverage in those markets.

The big question is will Apple finally add T-Mobile USA to their carriers in order to fully maximize sales?

13. 617aircav Suspended

T mobile is not getting it. Prepaid carriers got the 4s at the end of its cycle. Im guessing it will be tha same with the next iPhone.

14. dontwalkhand, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I don't get why people seem to think that the new iPhone will ONLY support LTE. Besides the US, some Asian countries, and Australia, other countries don't even have an LTE network built yet, in fact I believe they're still fighting over spectrum in Europe.

They will operate on HSPA+ and CDMA EV-DO just fine. The only difference, being that it's an LTE device, it will now require a SIM card, even if it is being used on CDMA only.

We've also seen interest in Cook making the iPhone available to everybody of all income levels (see: Cricket iPhone).

----------

Verizon got the iPhone 4 pretty late in the cycle too, and they still got the 4S. Though I'm sure that if/when T-Mobile does get the iPhone, it wouldn't be for the normal $199 price. T-Mobile loves to overprice phones on contract.

15. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

You just registered this month, how come you "stopped posting here".
    And they just tried to answer your question. Your tone just make you appear as a troll.

16. bmoreraven thread starter macrumors newbie

I had an account under a different username from 2004 to 2011. Good catch though, you are very clever, smarter than all of us!

No, they may have answered other questions, but not my question.

17. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The iPhone 4 and 4S are available from prepaid carriers such as Cricket and Virgin Mobile.

Unless Apple is going to kill off the iPhone line, this will be the first iPhone launch since the iPhone hit prepaid carriers.

He's not asking what carriers the iPhone 5 will be on, he's asking if it's possible if the iPhone 5 will be available on prepaid carriers.

18. bmoreraven thread starter macrumors newbie

I do think that once T-Mobile expands it's 1900 Mhz coverage they will get the iPhone in the US.

T-Mobile is also doing an LTE deal with Verizon so it might not take long for T-Mobile to go LTE.

----------

Thank you!

19. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It's not that people think the next generation iPhone will be LTE only, but will probably only be marketed on networks who have LTE in the USA (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and US Cellular).

----------

T-Mobile isn't supposed to get LTE till sometime mid year 2013. The iPhone 5 won't see a release on T-Mobile at LAUNCH anyways, but could easily see it when the 7th generation iPhone comes out or once T-Mobile launches their LTE network.

20. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

LOL OP is so sassy when s/he doesn't get the answer s/he wants.

Anyway, I think it is too tough to estimate in the States.

To my knowledge, the 4S was the first device (maybe the 4) that was offered on certain prepaid carriers. One device is not enough to provide a good guess as to when the next iPhone will hit prepaid carriers.

And just as each market is different from one another, we cannot use any other knowledge about foreign prepaid carriers and their iPhone timeline.

But to answer your question, I do not think it will come out at the same time. If I had to guess, I'd say as soon as 4 months after the release, realistically speaking would be 6 months after release. 8 months is a possibility too.

Cheers

21. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 would most likely be offered to prepaid carriers at a later date, due to the fact that most likely the major carriers would need to stock up ALOT of iPhone 5s to meet the demand the major carriers would often face. Hence, the major carriers would get priority first. The Galaxy S III had a pretty rocky launch with only 4 major carriers offering the GS3 on the initial launch date. Factories had 60 production lines producing 5 million GS3 handsets a month and it was still not enough to meet the demand.

While the US certainly had many prepaid carriers, this is certainly not the case in many other countries. In many countries outside of the US, the major carriers also offer prepaid options and act as prepaid carriers too. In Singapore which i visited for example, there are 3 major carriers operating in just one small tiny island smaller than any state in the US. And they all offer prepaid options and top-up cards to use your phone on their network. That's just my opinion and assumption, with no actual fact in basis. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.