When will the 4S go away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davenport-jr, Sep 2, 2013.

1. davenport-jr, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

davenport-jr macrumors newbie

Now that the iPhone 5 is $98. There is a whole lot of iPhones on the market, it's almost oversaturated. So what's going to happen when there's too many phones?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Too many phones? The 4S isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Why the hurry?

3. davenport-jr thread starter macrumors newbie

It's old. I would think that if they're coming out with more phones they have to get rid of the older ones. It's too many phones.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The 4S is not as old and can easily go as the entry level $0 on-contract phone as it can easily do several things in iPhone OS 7. It is not outdated, but it does lack some hardware upgrades (like LTE). Nevertheless, its a great phone.

5. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

4S will be the new 3GS in terms of longevity. Plus there's something cool about having the last design that Steve was on board and on stage for (I know he didn't announce 4S, but it's the same design as 4)

It will be two designs behind by the time iPhone 6 comes along, yet still in the game.

And right now, it's still a great phone and very capable (almost identical cam to 5, the CPU while inferior is no slouch) battery life aside.

I still think the white 4/4S is a marvel, especially being released super late, and that ice cream sandwich look (sorry to make a reference that overlaps with android) whereas I really like the 5 in white but not nearly as much.

6. tomtanojevic macrumors member

where is it $98. is this in australia or america?

7. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I saw no compelling reason to upgrade to the iPhone 5 when it came out, so I didn't bother. Speaking personally, I prefer the look and feel of the 4S anyway.

As for the 5S, well, let's see...

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Let the market take care of itself. There is plenty of room for the 4s.

Does it bother you?

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm guessing it goes away on the 20th. I'm thinking that the 5C will be offered at $0 and $99 with maybe 8GB and 16GB of storage to get everybody on the 4-inch display and the Lightning connector. Or it could be 16GB and 32GB with the iPhone 5S starting at 32GB as well.

I like my 4S, but I want LTE like you don't know it, I want the bigger display, and I'm really curious as to the use of the fingerprint scanner. I have no nostalgia over it. I was the same way with my original iPhone. I felt better selling it for $75 to a co-worker so he could get an iPhone rather than putting it in a drawer.

10. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

All existing iPhones will be discontinued after the event replaced by the 5C and 5S.

Once store stocks have run out of the older models that'll be it in terms of being able to buy one new.

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Although you wouldn't believe it from these forums, there are some of us who prefer the old iPhone form factor. Even though I will be updating my phone this year, I personally think that iPhones get a bit buggy after two years, or I should say two operating system upgrades. If apple offered a 4s sized phone with up to date specs, that would be the one I'd buy. I'll miss my 4s.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

While the 4S may still be capable, it limits both software and hardware vendors due to the 3.5" screen and old 30-pin connector. I say get everyone on the 4" and Lightning connectors.

BTW, it stopped being iPhone OS back in 2010 ;)

13. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Are you being a troll with these posts you are now making ? 26 in just one day

14. davenport-jr thread starter macrumors newbie

You can get banned for name calling, that's a fact. If I wanted to make 30 post a day, that's my prerogative. There is no limit. Unless you have like 50,000 posts already, I know a guy who had that many and the mods gave him a 30 post a day limit. But I digress.

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Digress from what, you're not making any kind of coherent post here. Apple sells 2 phones at a time, current model and previous model. If they add in a....whatever the **** kids are calling in these days cheaper phone that will be 3. How in the world is that too many phones? Samsung currently makes 153.

16. 617aircav Suspended

What's the definition of too many, and why should something happen ?

17. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

He is trolling a lot me thinks. Just read his other very numerous posts just in one day. Not very coherent, which I agree with you with.

18. davenport-sr macrumors newbie

Can you please just shut up with all that trolling stuff. Seriously, you're getting annoying.

The smartphone market is oversaturated.

19. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

How many Android phone models are there?

In any case, I still have my 2 year old 64GB iPhone 4S. It's still a great phone. It has an excellent camera (which the iPhone 5 didn't really improve much on), a great display and the overall performance is still excellent. With 64GB I have plenty of storage space. It's a perfect size where I can access the entire screen with just my thumb in one hand. Plus many others prefer that size phone. It also has the 30 pin connector that is compatible with a crap ton of accessories, including my car's iPod Interface and speaker dock that I own. I might even skip the 5S and wait until next year. iOS 7 will be a nice free upgrade for my 4S and make it seem kinda like a new iPhone anyway. According to those who have been running the iOS 7 beta on the 4S, it runs great. The only thing I would like is perhaps LTE, but I can wait.

I actually have upgraded to a new iPhone every year from the iPhone 3G in 2008 until the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 5 was the first iPhone where I didn't see much advantage to upgrading to and would have actually cost me money since I would have to buy adapters and new cases, docks etc...

I guess one concern is will my battery in my 4S last another year. I have Applecare + on it, but that expires on November 11th.

20. davenport-sr macrumors newbie

People who have bought an iPhone in the past year are just keeping it. In 2012, those who had the iPhone 4 gave those to their reletives or sold them while they upgraded to the iPhone 4S. When the iPhone 4S came out, people kept those and didn't upgrade to the 5. Those who did upgrade to the 5 handed down their 4S. Now people have two or three versions of the same phones and it's ridculous when you open your closet and you have every iPhone that ever came out, all of them being able to run the same software.

That's what I call market oversaturation and it's only going to get worse with 3 versions of the iPhone 5 coming out next week.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What limitation are there with 3.5"? At this point in time, the vast majority of iPhones are still 3.5". So I fail to see that as a limitation. Software wise, how is it a limitation? It can run iPhone OS 6 nicely right now and will be able to run iPhone OS 7 in the future.

The 30-pin connector is a limitation now? Please tell me how... I'm dying to know.

It is still and always be iPhone OS as the main focus of Apple has always been the iPhone. The iPad and iPod Touch grab seconds and thirds (respectively) from that OS. So, it makes no point to unify it when it is clear that the OS is thought for the iPhone.

22. hagr182 macrumors regular

We have to wait and see, I believe it will be the new 3GS. But I agree, with the
    4S, 5, 5S and 5C on the market at the same time, it is saturated.

Unless they go, 4S, 5C and 5S. or 5, 5C and 5S as their lines.

On a side note last year I got the 4S over the 5 because I got a deal on a 32GB unit (about 90 usd, over about 300 USD for the 16gb 5) at a time when Mexico did not have 4G. Its a great phone, and I love its design.

23. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

In the U.S. Walmart dropped the 2-year contract price to $98 (Sprint, Verizon, AT&T).

24. davenport-sr macrumors newbie

25. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Agree completely, only bad thing about the 4s (as mentioned above) is not LTE

subsidized =! free