When will we see LiquidMetal?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So Apple acquired the license to liquidmetal back in August 2010. When the next iPhone is released it will be over 2 years since the acquisition and (to my knowledge) we are yet to see an Apple product that uses to material. If when the next iPhone is released we STILL haven't seen liquidmetal used I will start to wonder if Apple has decided against the material altogether.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

We may have already seen it. That's part of how Apple works, it does things but doesn't always tell the public it does them.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If I understand correctly, liquid metal is very strong and light. So is aluminum. What are the particular advantages of liquid metal? :confused:

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

We have new products torn apart and reduced to screws and bare componanets often times days before they release. Somehow I doubt we already saw liquid metal.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It won't look any different to someone who hasn't seen it before.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The people doing the teardowns notice minuscule changes on circuitboards and such. Again, highly doubt we have seen this in one of their products thus far.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Apples pattern is usually two years after buying a company they begin using they're technology in a major product. You can expect to see liquid Metal in the next iPhone.

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    here is a good comparison of aluminum, titanium alloy, stainless steal, and liquid metal. Basically liquid metal trumps all others in strength, strength-to-weight, elasticity, and hardness. Additionally the way that the material is formed can allow for extremely intricate and sofisticated designs. I seam to remember hearing something about self-healing properties, but I don't see it at the moment.

That's what I'm hoping, but if it's not there, then it may be on the outs.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. Your answer (and link) were very informative and helped me understand the interest in liquidmetal. :D

10. kdarling, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Of note:

Liquidmetal's been used since at least 2002 in Samsung phones.

Since then, it has been used in their bezels and hinges as well. Anywhere a tough dent resistant metal was needed.

No idea if Samsung has been able to use it since 2010, when Apple bought perpetual exclusive rights for its use in consumer electronic products.

SEC Filing Link

11. iPhone 2G macrumors newbie