When will we see notification status bar icons?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Richardgm, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Am I the only one who keeps missing notifications thanks to the fact that the iPhone gives me no indication that there's an outstanding new notification?

I know badges are supposed to notify the user that there's a notification, but they don't help in these situations:

A) Some apps don't have badges,
    B) when in an app and one misses the notification,
    C) and when said app is on another page.

---

So when do you think Apple will implement a status bar icon option? Do you think they will? Which would you prefer; a single icon or app by app notification icon?

2. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

3. Richardgm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Checking the Notification Centre every 2 minutes isn't healthy. I might have to go to rehab soon.

4. drkryn macrumors member

You could, but an icon on the status bar could be helpful for quite a few people.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

YES, a simple something like a ! or a big letter N or something else clever Apple can think of.

Something cool would be an active notification counter, like a number within a circle that not only lets you know you have one, but if you have a bunch, just how many you have.

Most of the time i'm not sure if there's anything in there and i just pull down the notification center just because.

6. SamFisher macrumors member

How about a white pulsating circle? In a similar manner to how a MacBooks sleep light works, if you know what I mean.

7. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Like the one on dustin curtis' blog?

8. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sounds like you have more issues than iPhone not having a notification bar. I honestly hope they NEVER get one as I enjoy these threads and the whining about not having a light/bar that follows. I honestly don't care as I'm not a spaz and don't need to check my phone every 5 seconds to see if I missed something.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd like something that shows how many notifications you have in the status bar but will it kill me that we don't have one? Nah it won't.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

In what situation would that be helpful?

If I'm using my iPhone when a notification comes in I'll see it appear at the top of the screen.

If I'm not using my iPhone when a notification comes in I'll see it on the lock screen when I come back.

So this proposed icon is for someone who is neither using nor not using their iPhone. How many people can possibly be described that way? I mean, sure, there's Schrödinger's cat. But he's probably the only one.

11. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

As a former Android user, there were things I liked about the Notification Bar/Center.

For instance, it showed me the progress of downloads and when they were done. If I was updating an app, the notification bar showed me an icon indicating that I was downloading an update, then the icon changed to indicate the download was complete. If you actually went into the notification center, it would show a download progress bar for the file(s). I could pull down the notification window, a notice would be there, and I could just tap that to instantly switch to the app I just updated. Same went for songs, videos, docs, or any other file I was downloading and was useful if I either left my phone untouched or if I was actively using my phone.

As for the pulsing light feature, I don't know about you, but if I don't hear my phone beep, I probably won't look at it until I have to use it. If I leave my phone in one room for a long period of time, I don't always check it when I come back, even if it's been hours. The pulsing light was just a gentle reminder that, yeah, someone's trying to reach you. In my Epic 4G's case, a red light signified a text, a blue light signified voicemail, and a magenta light indicated a work email. My friends/family/coworkers/clients know that if it's really important or urgent, they should leave me a voicemail. The fact is, I don't need to check my phone incessantly and if I can look across the room where my phone is and a light isn't going off, then I don't even have to touch my phone. If I saw a blue light, I checked my phone immediately.

Also, on an iPhone, if you unlock the phone, the notifications disappear from your lock screen. Having the icons in the notification bar were just more reminders that you have texts, FB messages, voicemails, etc., and were always present no matter what you're doing. Not 100% necessary, but you get used to just having those notifications there to remind you instead of having to check by swiping through homescreens to see badge notifications or ever having to pulldown the notification center just because. Not everyone needs that kind of reminder, but to each their own.

One thing that I really liked about he notification bar on my Epic (not sure if it was just a Touch Wiz thing), but if I pull it down so the notification window's tab showed, I could slide my finger across the bar to dim or brighten my phone. Pretty convenient when you need just change the brightness in a pinch. I saw that "100 Reasons to Jailbreak" youtube video and I saw some really cool ways iOS could use the notification center. I wish a lot of that stuff was standard.

Anyway, that was a few of the reasons why I liked it. I'm sure some other people had other things they liked about it.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, those all sound interesting but not really like what the OP was asking for which is what my comment was based on.

13. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

My thinking is that say you get a notifications over 3 apps, about 7 notifications. Nothing important so you just leave your phone locked and say you can take care of it later.

Problem with lock screen though is that once you unlock it all those go away. So you have to access the via Notification Center.

If i happen to unlock my phone TO one of the notifications, and it spurs and idea and i go to safari, then this app then that app, but nothing that accesses the rest of the notifications in the notification center they are still there, but theres no way of telling that (unless you use badges) without pulling down the notification center just because.

this would give someone a last minute "oh that's right i have something in my notification center to look at" up at the top of their phone at all times.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The fact that you mentioned Schrödinger's cat has probably most of the youth here scratching their heads, then ignoring it since they don't know what it is instead of finding out.
    But your assumptions are sound and correct. You do have notifications. Whether or not you're using the phone.
    Maybe they would prefer the notifications be served in a different manner.

What I don't get is why some persons state that they want a feature another phone has, but then they won't go buy that phone instead. They'd rather wish for something they can't have.
    I don't get it.

15. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

i guess you must be made of money then, i personally do not have enough money just to drop my current phone and buy a new one simply because another phone has a feature i want.

Obviously if the technology is out there, people are going to want it on a device they already own, not buy an entirely new device just for one feature.

16. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Your sarcasm has been lost upon thee kind sir. Not once did I mention one must forget what they have and repurchase a product right now. Upgrades come and go daily for many people. I suggest you not assume one's intentions nor place words where not given. It makes a person rather, shall we say, less.

Again, my main contention is that if you wish for a different product, then by all means go get said item and enjoy. Or be happy with what you have and live life.

17. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'm just going to have to say wow, i'm gonna bet you don't speak like that, and if you do.... wow...

However back onto my point.

There's nothing wrong with wishing for something you want to be included on something you already have.

For example, I'd LOVE to have an engine in my car that gets over 33 MPG. It exists, i don't have it in my car, i'm not going to go buy a new car, but i can wish for it all i want.

Now putting an engine into a car that can automatically get better MPG is not exactly an every day occurrence. But Apple adding something in the bar at the top of the phone in the software is VERY possible. They add little things like that all the time to iOS.

And there's no reason for someone to stop using iPhone because of something as small as that