When you buy a iphone do you have to sign up for the plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retroart, Jul 20, 2008.

1. retroart macrumors newbie

When you buy a iPhone do you have to activate it? I thought about getting one rather than a touch but i didn't know if you have to activate the phone feature or anything else?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

you have to activate it and subscribe to an AT&T plan (unless you live outside the US) otherwise your phone is just a very fancy brick.

3. jakeacc macrumors regular

I guess you haven't read any of the 1000 of articles and news coverage about the iPhone 3G. I can't speak for other countries, but a cell phone plan is required when you purchase your iPhone. Hense why the lines have moved slower than last year.

4. Algalli macrumors member

Yes you have to sign up for a plan that includes the $30/mo data which is why I won't get one. My IBook takes care of my online internet surfing. As a retiree I don't need to waste $30 per month. I took this to the President of AT&T and his office told me that because of the contract with Apple they must charge for the data. I don't believe them.

5. retroart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I actually have not read any serious reviews cus i thought i would never get one, but i'm glad i know.

6. mkoesel macrumors regular

You are wise not to believe them. People have successfully canceled the iPhone data plan after purchase.