When you buy an iPhone 5 on contract and return it within 30 days, what happens?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I've never gotten a contract for a phone before, so I'm not entirely sure how it works with returns

Let's say I get the 16GB iPhone 5 on AT&T for $199 plus the contract.

I have 30 days buyer's remorse to return it. When I do return it and pay the first month's bill, do I have to return the phone as well?

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
I've never gotten a contract for a phone before, so I'm not entirely sure how it works with returns

I have 30 days buyer's remorse to return it. When I do return it and pay the first month's bill, do I have to return the phone as well?
Of course. You were given a $450 discount because you agreed to a 2 year contract. You back out of the contract without paying the ETF, you return the phone.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

No, keep the phone, they can make more.

akiraboi

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
USA

You might want to double check your details. My understanding is that while you have a 30 day exchange policy with Apple for the phone itself, some carriers only give you a 14 day grace period to decide to back out of your contract. You do of course need to return the phone if you cancel your contract inside of this 14 day period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.