When you buy your iPhone 5 tomorrow/whenever, remember where it came from.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, Sep 11, 2012.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

http://gizmodo.com/5942473/the-unde...ted-foxconn-to-see-how-they-make-the-iphone-5

2. Jst0rm macrumors regular

capitalism love communism. I think im gonna hold onto my old phone for a bit longer.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

But if I were to stop buying Apple products, they would lose their jobs.

4. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

China needs to enact better labor laws:D, they should look out for their own people ( need trying to sound like a ...), but none of those workers were kidnapped or forced to work without pay, I'm sure they are free to leave whenever they want, plus it's not the iPhone 5 , the U.S imports almost everything from China, you might as well throw Nike in the mix also and several other big companies, hell even Walmart....

5. ethana macrumors 6502a

These people wouldn't be working if they didn't need the money badly.... If you live in a fully developed country (like USA, UK, Australia, etc) then consider yourself lucky.

But like someone else said, not buying a new phone because of your ideals may cost one of them their jobs. Don't run your life on ideals, you'll never win. Just be realistic, make the best decisions for your life with a conscience mind for the collective, and hope that as the centuries pass the evolution of humanity will slowly lead to a better life for everyone on Earth.

Little philosophy there for you, sorry. :)

6. dgreene196 macrumors member

So purchasing an iPhone helps someone make money and have a life that is potentially better for him/her and his/her family. While the pay not be much for anyone in the US or Europe, $4 for 2 hours of extra work is a lot more than many people around the world could expect to make in a whole days' work.

Sometimes, you do the work you have to do now for a chance at a better life down the road. I'm still living that phase of my life.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

This is really true despite how arrogant one may come off as.

8. Jst0rm macrumors regular

actually some students were forced to go work as classes were cancelled.

I never shop at walmart and my shoes are made in the usa.

im not pure as I am surrounded by things made in china but we do have some choices. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like phones is one of those choices.

9. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

maybe these workers and their families can get by $120.00 a month who knows I have no idea what is the cost of living in China, maybe they are doing just fine to US $120.00 seems like change to them that might suffice

10. Jst0rm macrumors regular

Thats true but without any pressure companies like apple wont be good corporate citizens.

11. mcdj, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Foxconn workers are slowly getting raises. Little by little China's workforce will begin to enjoy a better lifestyle. Some day China may outgrow communism. Then the workers will unionize. Pay scales will go up and up. Foreign companies will close their China factories. The world will no longer be able to afford Chinese goods. The workers will begin to consume more goods than they make. And just like it has played out with nearly every other industrialized nation in history, their manufacturing heyday will pass, and the world will look for the next overpopulated impoverished country whose workers it can exploit.

Throughout the history of the world, there has always been a demand for labor, there has always been someone willing to do it, and they have never been paid much. It's not unique to China, it's not unique to the iPhone, and it will never change.

The iPhone will always be made by overworked, underpaid workers, in some country, somewhere.

12. ethana macrumors 6502a

I agree. But we all have our jobs. If you work for a news reporting agency and you want to do a piece on China's labor force, then go ahead. It will create waves. But my job in life has no impact in that way, so I'll make my impact on this world in a different way.... we all have our roles. Buy a product if it's good. Ideals aren't going to do anything for you except give you a product other than an iPhone, also built with slave labor.

13. Jst0rm macrumors regular

I agree about electronics. Im lucky enough and gifted enough to have a successful job. i can afford to spend more on my things and have them build in first world countries, mostly. And then there are these products I like so much and a company that i look at and see them act so nice in adverts and then I see this stuff.

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Foxconn is a world class employer and the lines outside the building every week for people seeking work are huge.

They pay better than average wages and have exceptional facilities for their employees.

I will purchase an iPhone proudly supporting Apple and their supplier management policies.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I don't care.

Where's my iPhone 5?

Don't like your job, quit, and go back to the rural village and enjoy cardboard meat and rice.

What these great liberal western minds can't grasp is for many of those workers, Foxconn is a blessing compared to what they came from.

China will have it's own transition from labor based market, to skills based market. It takes time, and slow progression. They don't need us dictating the terms of their economy.