When you buy your iPhone (or any phone) from an AT&T retail store, DON'T USE CASH!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1080p, Sep 10, 2012.

1. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

For the past 3 weeks I used my upgrade on a Galaxy S3 as a mini-stopgap between selling my iPhone 4S and getting my iPhone 5. I paid with cash. I Saturday I went to an AT&T Store to return it and they could not process the return because they didn't have any cash to pay me back. WTF? I went to 3 different AT&T stores before 1 had cash to pay me back. This was at the end of the day too... should have had plenty of business. I thought cash is king?

Anyway... if any of you plan on buying your iPhone at an AT&T store on launch day... pay with a credit/debit card incase you need to make a return.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why pay in cash anyway if you can use a credit card that offers extended warranty and some accidental damage/loss/theft protection?

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Welcome to reality where general rules don't always apply across the board.

When dealing with large companies, and high school kids who care nothing about the company bottom line... Plastic is best.

When dealing with a mom and pop, flee markets, exhibits with indie's, cash is king.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Actually, I'm not surprised an AT&T store wouldn't keep a lot of cash on hand. It's not a Walmart.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

While I use cash for many things, there are certain things you NEVER want to use cash for. Remember if you use a bank debit card or credit card you have MUCH MORE protection. Use cash for things you plan on buying and never needing to return or protect.

Also, most businesses don't use cash because customers almost never pay with cash anymore. This is very common in many stores.

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

For me this looks more like a way to force you to do another purchase ...

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Cash is king for payment.

I also ran into this issue with returns, they finally got enough cash to refund, but I've never paid with cash for anything ever again.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

fyi

Many companies will process the return via the back office and send you a check later. Getting a CASH refund is sometimes difficult.

By the way, your title is a bit misleading. No problem BUYING a phone with cash is okay. Returning for an exchange will work fine. Returning for a full refund is another story - and rather rare I would think.

Still, credit cards are the best way to go.