When you exit a conversation in Messages why doesn't it return to the top of the list

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Sep 3, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

This makes no sense and I notice it every day. When you return to the list of conversations in Messages, it returns you to the spot where the conversation you just exited was, which is usually halfway down the list. This makes no sense as you then have to manually scroll up every time. Didn't it used to automatically go to the top where all of your active most recent conversations are in iOS 6?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Isn't it just as likely that you may want to send a message to another contact in close proximity to the thread you were just viewing?

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to go about this. Just based off of preference.

For clarity, I agree with you that I would like it to jump to the top. However, I only usually have 5 or so existing conversations at any one time, so it's not a huge deal for me.

3. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

You could also just touch the status bar and it will jump you to the top without having to put in all that unbearable effort in scrolling up.

I have gotten into the habit of deleting conversations when I am done with them, for privacy reasons, and it keeps things from getting cluttered, so I don't really have this problem either.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This, as well. Forgot to mention that about just tapping the status bar to prevent you from having to scroll.

I'm with you, as well, in keeping my messages app from getting cluttered by deleting conversations.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I thought about that but I guess I'm going off of the fact that every single time I want it to go to the top.

Did it not used to do this in iOS 6?

6. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

I think for most people it makes sense to navigate back to where you was before. It would seem like a bug to me if it returned to the top of the list...

Imagine reading an email that's 20 or 30 messages from the top and returning to the top of the list.

It's part of the UINavigationController from the iOS SDK including Mail and Settings, as well as third-party apps.

As far as I'm aware it's been like this since day 1.

7. chupachup macrumors 6502

Like any third party chat app, Facebook messenger, line, etc, all recent conversations go to the top automatically, so you're at the top when you exit it.

I'm still waiting to see what these benefits are of using iOS

8. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

They're ordered by the most recently sent or received message.

So if you're exiting after having just typed a message and hit send, that thread will be at the top of the list... But you have to have sent or received a message in that thread for that to happen, just viewing a thread will not move it to the top.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you don't see a benefit, there's no point to using iOS. Just use whichever OS best meets your needs.

10. chupachup macrumors 6502

You said there were benefits. I'm wondering what they are. Care to list them?

I'm in another thread where a guy had to completely delete Twitter on his ipad to clear cache. Another guy says you have to jailbreak ios so you can install a cydia app to clear cache.

I can just do this

[​IMG]

Done.

So what are these benefits? Tell me. Because that guy had almost 1gb of Twitter cache he couldn't clear because ios doesn't let him.

11. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

I'm not sure I count clearing cache as a benefit or feature. Personally I don't think an end user should ever even need to understand what cache is.

In fact I'd argue that not having the option is a benefit.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I agree with the email, but in a list of text convos it just seems like it would flow smoother if it shot you to the top with all of the recent convos.

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Here's my list:

1. Personal Preference

You're in an Apple forum.

14. chupachup macrumors 6502

He's running out of space on his ipad. What's he supposed to do?

Not having the option is a benefit. Hahaha. OK.

15. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

I'm not too sure... If I viewed a message thread that was 6 weeks old, I don't want it at the top of my list of recent conversations.

Even if it didn't reorder my conversations wouldn't that be really odd? and at what point is a message old enough to start 'shooting' me to the top when I exit it?

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I honestly have no clue what you're talking about. I don't recall mentioning "benefits" of iOS in any of my posts in this thread. Was just responding to the OPs question.

To me, iOS is my preferable OS for my phone, therefore, I choose it. I'm not saying it's better than any other OS, just that I prefer it. You're on an Apple forum, what do you expect? There's a subforum here for non-Apple devices, I suggest you hang out in there if the use of iOS somehow offends you.

Comprendes?

17. jrswizzle, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Why I choose iOS versus Android:

-iMessage
    -Email
    -Siri
    -App quality
    -Cohesive design (both hardware and software)
    -Smoothness/speed
    -Integration with all my other Apple devices
    -Seamless sharing (both with others and my own devices)
    -Minimal set up
    -Little micro managing of settings/apps
    -TouchID
    -Notifications

Those are my "benefits". I'm sure you'll disagree with most if not all. As has already been stated, personal preference reigns supreme here. You don't like iOS, great. Don't bother those of us who do.

18. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Why are you wasting your time here in the MACRUMORS website, if you hate iOS, and are fighting with all the satisfied iOS users? Just go get a new phone if you hate iOS so much. Especially if you are hating it because of such frivolous things like not being put at the top of a list when going back.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No, you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm saying when you send a text in a convo that is lower down on the list, when you return to the list it should automatically scroll to the top where all of the recent convos are.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Don't waste time responding to that. He is off-topic and caused the thread to be sanitized in order to remove his rude portions

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Where did I say I hate iOS?? I don't "fight" with any of the iOS users, I simply get frustrated when people don't understand what I'm saying or completely ignore/deny glaring flaws or things that could be improved in an otherwise functioning system. I like iOS, otherwise I wouldn't use it. It just has many areas that could be improved. I should work for Apple.

22. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6. Whenever I respond to a text, that conversation goes to the top of the list of all texts. When I open the Messages app again, it opens at the top of the list, showing the newest conversation. Is this is what you are seeking to have happen?

Have you tried resetting your phone?

23. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I think XTheLancerX is confusing your initial question with the other user, chupachup and his anti-iOS rants.

24. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Correct. His cranky posts were removed.

25. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Hello? *tap, tap, tap* Is anyone there?