When you have an iPhone when a new one comes out do you pay retail or upgrade price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crizza0309, Jul 21, 2011.

1. crizza0309 macrumors regular

My friend told me all iPhone users pay for the "upgrade" price, even if they don't have an upgrade is this true? This is for verizion. If this is true then I think I will buy an iPhone 4 and sell mine when the 5 comes out.

2. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

you only pay the upgrade price if you are eligible for an upgrade. If you pay the reduced price now, you'll have to wait another ~2 years to get that pricing again.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You pay upgrade/subsidized price only when a contract is being signed. Otherwise you pay full.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

He might have meant that the new and upgrade prices are the same. Meaning you pay the same when you sign a new contract that you do when you use an upgrade.

Full retail price is several hundred dollars. AT&T offers an early upgrade price (middle between upgrade and full retail). Verizon might do that too, not sure.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

In the Uk we either get the iphone free on a higher rate of tariff or pay a handset amount with a lower tariff or a small upgrade fee when your contract is up for renewel.

On Pay As You Go the handset is still subsidized but not as much as one on a contract. We expect to pay approx £500 + sterling for an iphone 4 16gb. The 32gb is around £100 more.

There are normally locked to the chosen network.
    The fee in the Uk to ask for an unlock code from the network is free if your on contract or aound £20 if your on payg.

I believe buying from carfone warehouse provides you with an unlocked iphone 4, as they just marry up the chosen networks microsim with an unlocked phone.

I prefer to buy the phone on payg because I'm not locked to an 18-24 month contract and the tariff I'm on with 02 more than compares with someone on a contract. I'm just paying upfront for the device !

Will I sell my iphone 4 to buy the iphone 5 ?

I don't think so.
    I will probably pass down my ipjhone 4 to one of my children as I'm lucky to have the disposable income to purchase one.

This all depends on what the iphone 5 brings to the table.
    If its looks are the same as the 4 and the specs don't bring that much new to the table then I will not be rushing out to buy one.

6. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Don't know about the next phone release, but every year att offers an early upgrade price

Full upgrade $199/299

Early upgrade $299/399

Been paying the early upgrade price the past few years

7. markthrash macrumors regular

markthrash

I pay the $299/$399 every time. I'm content with ATT so I really don't have a problem renewing my contract

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It was $399/$499, bumped up to $449 and $559 recently I believe.
    I receive yearly upgrades and have been elegible since the 30th of June. Hopefully the sixth iPhone won't be released before the year mark, due to this 'delayed' iPhone :s

9. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Yes u are correct, sorry

I did pay $399 for the early upgrade price

I believe the 3GS was $299/399

I guess we will see the early upgrade prices when the phone goes up for sale

10. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I only pay the upgrade price. Luckily for me, my wife's upgrade is the opposite year of mine so I just switch every year. She's cool with getting my last year's iPhone.