when you take a landscape (sideways) picture with the camera....

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
They should be facing down.

Edit: Was actually thinking of video.

Last edited:

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
kinda would seem more convenient to have them on top like a normal camera, assuming the want to press the volume for the shutter

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Facing UP. It's a lot easier. It is reminiscent of a P&S shutter release button that our brains are used to, well most, not all. Also, with it facing up, it is furthest from your fingers, so you won't be covering it the lens. To actually take a picture, I use my index/pointer finger since it has right amount force without making the unnecessarily shaky or a finger at the last minute (even on the flash).

Off topic... On my SLR, I have two buttons depending on orientation, but it's always at the top right.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
While it doesn't matter in terms of functionality, the obvious answer is up. One what camera would you see the shutter button on the bottom? Answer: no camera! :)

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
When I have the volume buttons facing up, all of my pictures and videos come out upside down :(

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Never had an issue with pictures nor videos showing upside down no matter how i held the iPhone in landscape while taking a picture or video.

And i'm running both OSX(macbook) and Windows 7(PC laptop)..

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

On a pc it will display them upside down unless the volume buttons were at the bottom!

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

On a pc it will display them upside down unless the volume buttons were at the bottom!
+1

Any pictures I took with the volume buttons up and emailed to friends on a PC had the pictures display upside down.

bobswika

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
+1

Any pictures I took with the volume buttons up and emailed to friends on a PC had the pictures display upside down.
+2 I would love for this to be fixed. I have made this mistake several times. Running Windows 7.

nmork

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Under your bed.
Re: upsidedowngate

the iPhone saves the photos one way, and adds orientation information to the photos via EXIF tags, same as it saves GPS data, phone model, shutter speed, etc. there's nothing wrong with this, as ALMOST everything listens to them and rotates the photos properly. basically: they're always saved upside down but the photos have instructions to display them right side up.

the problem is with windows: for whatever reason, if you don't "import" the photos (if you just copy them from the phone, or even use photo stream) it ignores the instructions to rotate the photos and they'll end up upside down. it's the same reason you can't use windows' remove properties feature to remove geotags from images. i *think* it got fixed in the windows 8 developer preview, but i haven't used it in so long i don't remember.

for the record, the upside-down problem happens if you have the volume buttons on top (home button on left, camera lens on bottom)

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011

bobswika said:
+1

+2 I would love for this to be fixed. I have made this mistake several times. Running Windows 7.
If I email or text the pic will it be upside

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.