When your religion treats women like second class citizens...

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You can almost get out of doing group projects in school :D

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/york-university-student-s-request-not-to-work-with-women-stirs-controversy-1.2490514

A York University student taking an online course is seeking to be excused from group work because his religious beliefs forbid him from meeting with female classmates.

His professor at the Toronto university, Paul Grayson, rejected his request, which ignited a controversy at the university about human rights.
So basically one of the not so stellar universities in Toronto decided that if working with women was against your religious beliefs your professor should accommodate you. Luckily, the professor appears to have more brains than the dean and refused to follow the recommendation.

From the professor:

"This takes us back to the dark ages as far as I'm concerned. It's completely unacceptable."
Totally agree.

The religion of the student has not been confirmed, but an educated guess from the populations around here, and narrowing it down further to religions who treat women like dirt leaves the most likely candidate being islam.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I read that the student respected the professor's decision and had since met with his group. That wasn't so hard now was it :rolleyes:

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
You can almost get out of doing group projects in school :D
I heard a bunch of the interviews on the radio a few days ago. Actually the school approved it but the student then changed his mind.

I'm not sure I agree that it should be a problem. He wasn't forcing someone else to do something or removing them from something they wanted to do. He wasn't excluding anyone else, he was excluding himself. He didn't say woman shouldn't be there with him, he said he shouldn't be there with a woman.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I read that the student respected the professor's decision and had since met with his group. That wasn't so hard now was it :rolleyes:
Yes, but the professor had to put his neck on the chopping block for this as the dean of the school requested that the student be excused.

Anotherwords we are willing to turn our backs on half of the population of the earth for a religion.

----------

I heard a bunch of the interviews on the radio a few days ago. Actually the school approved it but the student then changed his mind.

I'm not sure I agree that it should be a problem. He wasn't forcing someone else to do something or removing them from something they wanted to do. He wasn't excluding anyone else, he was excluding himself. He didn't say woman shouldn't be there with him, he said he shouldn't be there with a woman.
So as long as your religion says so you can be a bigot?

What if his religion forbid him from working with blacks? Still okay?

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
The religion of the student has not been confirmed, but an educated guess from the populations around here, and narrowing it down further to religions who treat women like dirt leaves the most likely candidate being islam.

He could just as easily be a Hasidic Jew. Their treatment of women hasn't improved much from the stone ages.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Yes, but the professor had to put his neck on the chopping block for this as the dean of the school requested that the student be excused.

Anotherwords we are willing to turn our backs on half of the population of the earth for a religion.

----------

You don't need religion to be a bigot , I don't see the issue , it's not like the guy sued to get his way

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Perhaps if some are so concerned about what they eat, what they wear, who they associate with, how they pray, they should move to Quebec.

That Province seems to be going down the dark road right now.

They would then all be in one Province, and they could fight it out to the death should they so wish.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world

People are allowed to be bigots. They don't HAVE to associate with with other colors, religions, people.

Actually there are quite a few liberal bigots on here.

If his religion forbid him from working with someone that was black then he would have to find a job that would allow him to do it. It wouldn't force a company to fire all the black people.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Who is "we"?
We as in society, first world countries specifically. This is a secular school, the fact that this dean still has their job says a lot about our values as a society.

Gender or racial discrimination should not be permitted or even be given enough oxygen to breath.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR

How is this story an example of bigotry or discrimination in any way?

I don't think he was saying the women were not good enough to work with him; or anything even remotely of the same sort.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
How is this story an example of bigotry or discrimination in any way?

I don't think he was saying the women were not good enough to work with him; or anything even remotely of the same sort.
Said person states their religion doesn't allow you to work with 50% of the population and they want to be excused from doing said group work due to this, how is that not discriminatory?

When that guy grows up and becomes a hiring manager are you okay that they only hire males because that's who their religion says they can work with?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
1.Said person states their religion doesn't allow you to work with 50% of the population and they want to be excused from doing said group work due to this, how is that not discriminatory?

2.When that guy grows up and becomes a hiring manager are you okay that they only hire males because that's who their religion says they can work with?
1. he did not want to be excused from the work, simply from working with females, again I see no problem.

2 HOW could he become a hiring manager IF he is not allowed to work with females in the first place? we already have anti-discrimination laws that prevent this.

this was SCHOOL project, not the end of the world there.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
1. he did not want to be excused from the work, simply from working with females, again I see no problem.

2 HOW could he become a hiring manager IF he is not allowed to work with females in the first place? we already have anti-discrimination laws that prevent this.

this was SCHOOL project, not the end of the world there.
And if he wanted to be excused from working with blacks?

Next we can permit neo Nazis to only work with their Aryan brothers.

Christians not wanting to group with gays? What kind of educational institution would this be?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
He could just as easily be a Hasidic Jew. Their treatment of women hasn't improved much from the stone ages.
Exactly. Sad how people seen to focus on just islam regarding religious groups that treat women unjust.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If he wouldn't have said "because my religion", would we be discussing this? If he just didn't feel comfortable around women for any other reason, would this be newsworthy?