'When You're Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WarHeadz, Mar 15, 2016.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Just read this article, it's the story of two waiters in a restaurant but it really is a metaphor for the backlash to various civil rights movements. Before you get into ideological defense mode, please read the story!!

MORAL OF THE STORY

"Equality can feel like oppression. But it's not. What you're feeling is just the discomfort of losing a little bit of your privilege."

2. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

That's not privilege, that's being a narcissistic *******.

here is a video to explain privilege,

3. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

There's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. You would need to have a grand canyon sized gap in your critical thinking skills to buy into half the crap said in that video.

4. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Like what?

5. jkcerda, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you owe me carne asada nachos, a foot massage & a safe space for reading your article.

but when stores are being looted & crap is burning, do you still think people are just being "equal"? nice SJW article.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 15, 2016 ---
    those who think they are privileged & those who have a victim mentality would agree with you.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

People are only privileged by those peering through the lens of jealousy and envy.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

For the most part that is true, but there are some people who lack privilege due to physical and mental issues. Someone born blind would be one of those cases or a kid with cognitive disability. As long as you are able bodied with sufficient IQ I think you have the same privilege no matter the race or gender you are.

Tall people make good basketball players, short people make good jockies and people with high IQ's make intelligent workers. If you are a 5'6" male, you will most likely not make the NBA no matter how hard you try, no matter what race you are. In this case what you said would be 100% spot on.

Look at Tim Cook, he is gay and the CEO of the largest company in the world. His race, sex and sexual orientation have nothing to do with his position. If you believe he has privilege, than I guess that would mean that straight people are discriminated against.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

It depends upon the position. ;)

All kidding aside, I remember being the last kid picked for school sports whenever a pickup game occurred. That happened after moving to an almost purely white neighborhood, where Dads had leisure to play with their kids. I came from a diverse neighborhood, where dads worked all the time to make ends meet. Our family moving I guess was a step up, but for me at that young age, not so much.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I must have not been giving my privilege card at the issue date.

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Have you forgotten the poor? They are the first to come to mind when I hear about privileged.

I've got several rental properties I've made available for Section 8. I charge a lower rent to my Section 8 tenants than I do to regular tenants (15% discount). And I tend to be lax about collecting portion the Tenant is responsible for, sometimes even allowing up to 6 months of back rent without penalties (~$1000). That $165 a month ain't gonna make much difference in my budget. But is the difference between their kids studying on a full stomach or worrying about where their next meal is coming from.

11. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Nope I have not. All the immigrants I know have come to my country poor and are doing well after 1 or 2 generations. One of my best friends is a Pakistani that came to Canada 25 years ago as a refugee. He had no father and the mother raised 6 kids on welfare in a brand new land. Today all 6 children have university degrees and are doing very well. The poor stay poor for there own reasons, want to break the poverty cycle? stay in school and don't get pregnant until you can support yourself or you get married. The poor may have certain disadvantages, but to bring up privilege will just insure there is another generation of poor.

I will give you one privilege that people might have, and that is the privilege of not having ****** parents. My friends mother did a great job in one generation, whereas there is generational poverty in other demographics such as part of the white community and aboriginals in Canada.

12. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Privilege? Damfino. Plowed behind a horse when I was a kid. Drafted into the Army. Went to college on the GI Bill, and had a salary job for 17 years, paying taxes. Did all my home repairs/maintenance and did 5-midnight sometimes, as a shade-tree mechanic. That let me take Ol' Mama dancing and have a good living for the family. Laid some money aside for old age. Have a few good friends and many friendly acquaintances. Pretty much earned my own way through life.

Anybody wants to call all that "White Privilege" or any other kind of privilege: Herewith I bestow upon you the Royal Order of the Rigid Digit. :)

13. 1458279 Suspended

There's nothing in the constitution that I can see that talks about equality of outcome. It's about equality of opportunity not outcome. The problem with trying to make everyone come out even, is that some find that they no longer have to work hard in order to have the same as someone else.

Section 8 housing is just a scam. It take public money and uses it to keep people in poverty. The poor people that use it don't get past a 1 month usage. In other words, the poor don't get to keep it. Why not use the same money to get people out of renting and into owning so that they can keep the effect of the public money being spent?

Why not use the public money to help build modest homes for poor people to own? That way there would be an end to the process.

The government isn't interested in ending poverty, they're interested in treating it because that's where the government creates a dependent class of people that they control.

The poor people then see it as the government is helping them and they blame the rich for having more, when it's actually the fault of the government.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not everyone wants to own a home.

And besides you need to be pretty rich to do so. If my boiler breaks tomorrow I'll need to spend £5,000 to replace it.

15. 1458279, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016

1458279 Suspended

But if we used public money to help people buy and had the government help build more homes, the price would go down.

Imagine if that 22 trillion used on the war on poverty, was used to build middle class homes. We'd have a lot more homes on the market in the entry level price range and the prices would drop.

People could still rent, but most people I've ever known don't have a good argument to renting. Renting is really a waste of money. Not to mention if we had a lot more homes on the market, rents would fall.

The real point is that the money doesn't stay with the poor. The poor end up staying poor.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Replacing a boiler is still going to cost £5,000.

17. 1458279 Suspended

So if you rent a home and the owner has to replace the boiler, do you think that cost isn't in the price of the rent? Does it somehow become free just because you rent?

The key to getting people out of poverty, and in fact the key to gaining wealth is to keep more of what you get.

The government takes 22 trillion and tries to fix poverty. Yet we have more people in poverty now than when it started. Where's the money now? If we just gave the poor people the money, instead of having poverty programs, they'd be 20% richer than the middle class.

It costs more to treat poverty than it does to end it. The poor gain nothing and the housing rental market is now artificially propped up by public funds and they poor are still poor.

BTW, we can give the poor people jobs rebuilding broken boilers.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Your argument is there is no such thing as priviledge? Very nice rationalization.

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Interesting take on it. Not sure if any here would believe it...

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Funny, do you remember how exclusionary the GI bill could be administered? How about housing? Were you given the option of a 30 year loan with stable low interest rates? Were you a victim of redlining? Thought so.

But nah....everything was hunky dory....for a certain part of the population.

21. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I feel like at least 50% of the people here didn't actually read the story.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Of course the cost is in the rent. But then the owner has a better credit rating than the tenant so they can borrow the money to do the work for a low cost.

23. 1458279 Suspended

Interesting assumption about costs and credit. What if the boiler doesn't go out for 5 years and during that 5 years the rent goes past the cost of owning? Then owning is cheaper, so they can afford a new boiler.

How often do the boilers go out? Is that a yearly thing? Do we need a national ABA (Affordable Boiler Act)?

Then we can pass the ATRA (Affordable Transmission Repair Act)
    Then we can pass the AFA (Affordable Fridge Act)
    Then we can pass the ARRA (Affordable Roof Repair Act) ...

These Dems have an endless supply of excuses don't they? No wonder Detroit never got fixed.

The only thing a Dem can fix is an election.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You kinda seem to have no understanding about how finance works at any level.

25. 1458279 Suspended

Here we go again with the "you don't agree with me, so you don't understand anything"

So if the house is owned for 10 years and the payment is 500/month less than rent, they can buy a new boiler every year and still be ahead of the game.

So I guess it really depends on how often the boilers go out. Do they make boilers that last longer than a year?

Ok, your turn to belittle someone that won't agree with you...