When's the last time you bought a CD?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I was at Target today and saw the soundtrack to "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" on sale for $12, so I bought it. Listening to it on the way home, I realized...I think this is the first CD I've bought all year! Everything else I've purchased this year has been through the iTMS.

How about everyone else? Just curious as to how many people here have all but stopped buying CDs at the stores because of iTMS.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
A batch of 6 just last week.

After one song purchase from iTMS, I have vowed never to do so again.
The quality is poor, the restrictions annoying, and the range of music is limited.

Mind you, 90% of my purchases are now online. Record shops are far too expensive and imports in the UK are just silly prices...

I just like having the CDs there for the quality and as 'backups'.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i buy the actual cds all the time, althought i think there are about four albums i have bought from the iTMS, they weren't of my favoriate bands or anything, but surely i will be sticking to the actual cds especially now that i live much closer to my favorite record shop! :D

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I think I haven't bought a CD in about 2 years.
99% of the time, I get a CD becuase I really like the single an artist put out, but the rest of the CD is crap.

If an artist isn't on the iTMS, I refuse to buy their music.

IMO, CD's are a dying technology anyways....most major stores (Target, Wal-Mart) are looking to reduce the amount of space they dedicate to CDs because their sales are down. They want to increase the space they allocate to DVDs because the profit margins are huge.

It also seems like "record stores" are dying out....I cannot even remember if there are any Blockbuster Music's or Camelot's still around.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I buy my CD's on ebay all the time, still like to have better quality songs, I can tell the difference. And they are really cheap!

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
mac-er said:
I think I haven't bought a CD in about 2 years.
99% of the time, I get a CD becuase I really like the single an artist put out, but the rest of the CD is crap.

If an artist isn't on the iTMS, I refuse to buy their music.

IMO, CD's are a dying technology anyways....most major stores (Target, Wal-Mart) are looking to reduce the amount of space they dedicate to CDs because their sales are down. They want to increase the space they allocate to DVDs because the profit margins are huge.

It also seems like "record stores" are dying out....I cannot even remember if there are any Blockbuster Music's or Camelot's still around.
Yeah, it seems like every time I go into a Target or Wal-Mart type store, their CD section has less and less of a selection.

The only place around here with a good selection and decent prices is (believe it or not) Circuit City. Otherwise, the music stores charge WAY too much money; upwards of $18 a CD! Unless I go somewhere that happens to be having a sale, I buy it on iTMS or another online vendor.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I got a couple of CDs back in January, but those were gifts. I truly cannot remember the last time I actually bought CDs for myself. Between borrowing from the public library and re-ripping all my girlfriends and my own old CDs (and those I haven't actually ripped at all) I haven't needed to buy any CDs for a very, very long time. And now that I can (finally) get the occasionally song from iTMS, the chance of me buying any new CDs any time soon grows even slimmer.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The last time I bought a CD was at least 10 years ago, if I've bought any at all. CDs and the iTMS are of very little interest to me in the vast majority of cases. This is why I never joined the file swapping bandwagon.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
CDs all the time. For new stuff I tend to use Play or CD-Wow and for others I can pick up those 5 for £30 offers that certain stores always have - I can never find 5 that I want but I can usually get 5 that satisfy me and my g/f :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
I bought one in February since iTunes didn't have it and I had a voucher to use at Amazon. I tend to find it easier just to hop onto iTMS and download music. I know that Play.com have the 'real' thing at the same price but I hate waiting for them to arrive. I go for the instant gratification of listening to them immediately.

I rarely burn the music or need to share it so the DRM isn't such a big deal and for most stuff, not being an audiophile with superduper speakers or headphones, my ears just don't hear a massive difference in sound quality.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Until last week I had only bought at most 5 cd's in the last two years, I binged and just bought 20 cd's at once which I've wanted for awhile. Paying for music online just isn't at the point where I feel it's worth buying considering it's lack of quality.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I've bought about 2 cds in the last 4 years, both music I wanted badly but was unable to get at iTMS.

4 years ago, I had bought 5 cds while in Europe and they wouldn't play on my computer. After that I swore never again would I buy a cd as my computer is my stereo. Strangely enough, those cds now play on my computer just fine. Apple must have cut a deal with those record companies. Nevertheless, I really don't like buying cds. They take up a lot of space, generally cost more, etc. From here on out it's digital all the way, baby!

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I don't buy CDs all that often since I ripped my entire collection (2000+ CDs) onto a hard drive. Still digitizing my vinyl collection as well. I'm not a huge fan of the low bit rate Apple uses for iTMS but have downloaded a few songs during parties when requests would pop up.

That said, I'll still buy CDs of my favorite artists, rip 'em at a high bit rate and then sell the CDs on eBay. I just bought the new Lyrics Born remix CD "Same S**t Different Day" and will keep that one because it comes with a whole DVD of live material, interviews and videos. Very cool feature to have a bonus DVD - especially at the list price of $11.99 for a CD and DVD. I think more and more artists will either start offering DVDs of enhanced CDs as a way to drive sales.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
As with wrldwzrd not for at least 10 years.For one thing most of the music I like is fairly obscure(I have friends with huge librarys of the stuff I like) but mainly I won't put a penny in the pockets of those bastards at the R**A (and their various european offshoots).

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
i buy cds all the time... mostly soundtrack, classical sometimes something funky caught my ears... like that Jet - Are you gonna be my girl. I went and bought the cd :D

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I bought about 10 cd's while in London last week....then the day after I got home I went to the shop here and bought another 5......oh yeah!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Moby's 'Play', Bloodhound Gangs 'hooray for boobies' and Bon Jovi 'crush' where the last albums i bought, way back in the last century :) in poland too! where they cost a good £7 less than in the UK.

first album was Korns Life is peachy when i was 14. what was i thinking?! glad i grew out of that :)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
last night at tower records, all beatles cds were on sale. $45 dollars for The White Album and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Isn't it sad that they were on sale for that much? Double White was normally $36 (got it for $25) and Sgt. Pepper was normally $20 (got it for $14), then tax. Damn that RIAA and Michael Jackson!!!! At least I got about 45 songs for it :)

The truth is as much as I love iTunes and the iTMS, i really only download the free songs. I have redeemed songs, but never actually bought them. I'd much rather physically own a cd and do what i please with it!

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Today actually. Went to Best Buy and bought Keane - Hopes and Fears. Wanted to see what all of my British friends were on about...

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
ham_man said:
Today actually. Went to Best Buy and bought Keane - Hopes and Fears. Wanted to see what all of my British friends were on about...
Bought that (on iTMS ;)) a few weeks ago. I thought it was pretty good, but I have to give it another listen soon...

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I bought some a couple of weeks ago.

I think I buy fewer now because since having all my music on my computer/iPod, I keep finding new music just within my own collection!

I think having all this music in one big library, that is so accessible, lots of us just don't feel the need for more music.

mike3k

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
The last time I bought a CD was when I pre-ordered two items from MusicToday: an autographed copy of Mike Doughty's "Haughty Melodic" and Dave Matthews Band's "Stand Up", which included a limited edition companion CD (which was better than Stand Up itself).