Where´s my MBP made?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mateforrest, Jul 5, 2010.

1. mateforrest macrumors newbie

Hello,

I usually see that the MBP are made in Shanghai with serial number star by

W8---------

Mine starts by WQ

Can some one tell me where´s made?

Is MBP i5 15"

Regards

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I am pretty sure they are still made in China. Could the serial number change be because your Mac is one of the new i5 MBP's?

3. mateforrest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank´s but i have seen units like mine with W8....... Serial.

Some one with WQ serial number?

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

5. mateforrest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

I Knew that it´s from China, but i want further information about the location.

I Know that W8 is from Shanghai, and WQ perhaps for Shenzhen or from Taiwan?

I want to know if WQ is a reduced production line, because the W8 is the most typical?

Regards

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

not sure, mine is WQ also, sent from shanghai

WQ is the new serial naming i thought ?

7. mateforrest thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello again

Is you MBP an i5 15"?

I not sure that WQ is the new serial namimg because my brother has the same model and reference but with serial starts by W8.

This is reason beucase i not sure is WQ means any special information?

Who do you know that you MBP come from Shanghai? By the tracking number of the delivery? Do you bought it from Online apple Store?

thanks

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

it is a 13" 2.66 mid 2010 model,

it was replaced by applecare, i tracked it from shanghai.

9. mateforrest thread starter macrumors newbie

Does your old one big problems? how can you obtain the replace by apple?
    Usually they tell go to official service and repair it.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

certain criteria allow for replacement, such as mine caught on fire.

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Bumping a thread is against the forum rules. And you did just that. BTW, why do you care. I can't believe someone cares about that. Its a fricken Apple MacBook Pro! It was made in China. It works fine. Who cares about the exact longitude and latitude of the building?:rolleyes:

12. mateforrest thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for to go against forum rules, i didn´t know it.

Anyway i don´t care if you don´t understand why i want to know wheres is my mbp pro.

For example in automotive products the quality of the products it is not the same from all the factories.

What do you prefer, a BMW from Germany or from China Factory? with one letter you can where it is made.

Please if you don´t have information about my question don´t answeer.

Thanks

13. Aboo macrumors 6502a

You provide a misanalogy - here its not like you have a part being made in Germany (which is supposedly of better quality) and a part made in China. Both are made in China in cities that are separated by a few hundred miles. The fact that the people here don't really have an answer to your question should probably strike one to realize that there probably isn't a noticeable difference in quality or performance between W8 and WQ serial numbers. I think the bottom line is that so far we can only determine that it has been produced in China. If you want to know specifically which plant, you may want to call Apple and see if they are willing to divulge that information. If that doesn't work, if you ordered your system directly from Apple and have the tracking number, you may be able to see which Chinese city it originated from.

14. KirkL macrumors 6502

15. aohus macrumors 68000

Do you really think that all the parts from a BMW are actually built in Germany? My BMW was built in November of '09, and the parts of the car were built from all over, South Africa, Europe, Asia, everywhere.

To be honest, you have a rather ignorant (old school) way of judging products based on where they were manufactured.

would you be happier if Apple products were made in a high tech factory in the swiss alps ?

16. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ya moreover he's splitting hairs by wanting to know the exact location in China. It doesn't matter. It's an Apple laptop and I doubt Apple would let other regions make inferior products.

17. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Made in China
    Manufactured in Cali

edit: Designed, lol goddamn it.

18. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

What? :confused:

19. KirkL macrumors 6502

He probably means Designed.

20. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Well, Foxconn manufactures Apple's laptops as well as their hyped i-Phone.

I read a story about an Asian business journalist being arrested by Foxconn security outside a factory in Hong Kong about five months ago. I don't remember if that was an i-Phone factory or other products as well.

Foxconn also manufactures all HP and Dell laptops.

It would be interesting to see how close together these operations are.

Too bad we don't have real journalists in America anymore to investigate and write such stories.
    --

21. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ya Foxconn's terrible. WaPo ran a special about the working conditions in the factories and it's just god awful.

I'm fairly certain all laptops use the same components more or less. Apple uses a different battery and different enclosure though.

22. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Engadget just did a review today on the HP Envy 14. It even has a larger Mac size touch pad and finally, a backlit keyboard. i3 processor with ATI 5000 series video card and an eye-popping 1600 x 900 LCD for $999. And of course, an HDMI.

Built by Foxconn.

Well, I just read the details. I was tricked by HP marketing. That stellar display is $200 extra so the above is $1200.
    --

23. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I have the Envy 14. Its nice, but has a mediocre clickpad. The clickpad is only good if you dont try to click it and use the tapping features t do everything.
    Got an i5-450M, 6GB RAM, 160GB Intel G2 SSD, 1600x900 350nit Radiance screen, 1GB ATI 5650 for $1095 after cash back.

Yes Foxconn built