Where’s S2 gone?

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a reason why Watch Series 2 isn’t available from Apple?

Was Watch 2 the iPad 3 of the watch line?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Is there a reason why Watch Series 2 isn’t available from Apple?

Was Watch 2 the iPad 3 of the watch line?
Series 3 is the new Series 2. Apple discontinue the Series 2, because Series 3 includes all the same features with the addition of LTE, audible Siri, etc. There is still refurbished Series 2 available from Apple's website.

Reactions: KrisLord

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Series 3 is the new Series 2. Apple discontinue the Series 2, because Series 3 includes all the same features with the addition of LTE, audible Siri, etc. There is still refurbished Series 2 available from Apple's website.
That doesn’t make sense. When they launch iPhone they don’t drop the previous model. When iPhone 6s came out they didn’t drop the 6 in favour of only selling the 6s and 5.

Different products but...

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Well then talk to Apple. They made the business decision to drop the Series 2 from the Watch line. My personal view is they dropped it due to the general lower total volume of Watches vs the iPhone and the minimal pricing differential for the Watch.

Dave

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
That doesn’t make sense. When they launch iPhone they don’t drop the previous model. When iPhone 6s came out they didn’t drop the 6 in favour of only selling the 6s and 5.

Well, the current AW line up is

S1 > S3 > S3-LTE > SS-S3 > Edition

The regular S3 is essentially the replacement for the S2. It's faster, but has a composite ceramic back. Plus it's cheaper (like $30).

I would compare this to how Apple handled the 5S intro. When the 5S came out, the 5 was immediately discontinued and the 5C took the $550 slot. The 4S remained in the lineup as the $450 phone. Note - this is how it was done in the USA.

Last edited:

noteple

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2011

Why would you want an S2 verses an S3 without LTE ?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
That doesn’t make sense. When they launch iPhone they don’t drop the previous model. When iPhone 6s came out they didn’t drop the 6 in favour of only selling the 6s and 5...
You really can't compare the Apple Watch and the iPhone. The Apple Watch is still a fairly new device that doesn't really have a set history of how it will be updated, compared to How the iPhone is updated annually.

Reactions: KrisLord

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

They dropped the iPad 3 (The 'new' iPad) when the iPad 4 went on sale. Apple only sold the iPad 2 and the iPad 4 (The 'iPad with Retina Display')

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
....The regular S3 is essentially the replacement for the S2. It's faster, but has a ceramic back. Plus it's cheaper (like $30).
Just a slight correction the "regular" base Series 3 has a Composite back. You have to move to the Cellular version and higher to get the Ceramic back.

Dave

dalen3

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Typical marketing decision.
They want two options, cheap and expensive one. You want differentiation between product price categories, not too similar as more people will go with the chepaer one then.
Since S2 is too similiar to S3, they went with S1 as the cheaper option. Also S1 is cheaper to make.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
I’ve been contemplating this. For the price of the S2 from Best Buy right now 42mm is $100 cheaper. That may make it worth it to some people. I may pull the trigger on it too.

Another reason is some people rather have the old gold color.

Some people don’t like how the GPS S3 has a composite back ( though there’s no evidence that a scratched up composite back affects HR monitoring)

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve been contemplating this. For the price of the S2 from Best Buy right now 42mm is $100 cheaper. That may make it worth it to some people. I may pull the trigger on it too.
Which is why I don't expect the Series 2 Apple Watch to be available much longer from Best Buy, especially coming with the holidays. I do expect further discounts, which is another reason why the Series 2 likely won't be around much longer to find at a discounted price. Series 2 Basically has everything the Series 3 has and the dual core processor speed increase.

Reactions: JPack

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
When you live quite literally below a mountain the concept of 4G (or LTE) isn’t one worth considering.

I liked the idea of the 2 based on its improvements over 1 but wouldn’t consider the 3 due to its price point.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
When you live quite literally below a mountain the concept of 4G (or LTE) isn’t one worth considering.

I liked the idea of the 2 based on its improvements over 1 but wouldn’t consider the 3 due to its price point.
You can buy a S3 without cellular for $70 less.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Apple doesn’t want the S2 cannibalize the 3.

I’m pretty damn sure the series 2 would take a nice chunk out of the S3 sales.

Plus it’s all about the $$$$

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Apple doesn’t want the S2 cannibalize the 3.

I’m pretty damn sure the series 2 would take a nice chunk out of the S3 sales.
This. Because if the Series 2 existed along side the Series 3, the Series 2 would naturally be discounted and it would have most consumers likely opting for the Series 2 because it's cheaper and has a lot of same functionality as a Series 3, aside from LTE being a major reason. Apple wants the consumer to purchase their latest models and retaining the Series one, retains the entry-level price point.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
Series 3 - $329

Series 1 - $249

There's no room in this stack for Series 2. Then you have a weird situation where Series 2 has a more expensive ceramic back vs. the composite back on Series 3.

Reactions: ftaok