Where 99.9 % is not good enough

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamarak, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Think about it, they will be releasing around 6 to 8 million phones, that even with 99.9 % quality control, thats still around 60,000 or so phones that could be bad.

Can you imagine working at a job 99.9 percent is not considered good. And with todays post it now mentality, that can add up fast and makes things seem worst than they really are.

Im not saying there is not a problem and its seems it could be a bad one, but just trying to put in perspective that right now there could be a million phones that been released and could mean 10000 phones that are bad and that can be lot of pictures and twitter that can make things seem worst than they really are.

2. bazofio macrumors newbie

The problem is that at this moment there isn't millions out there yet (maybe later). And there arent millions in this forum either and we are seeing a lot of them with this issues, so i expect that this will be a major problem, unfortunately.

3. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

I disagree, world wide i think not unfathomable that there are right now a million phones that been released right now. And your point is exactly my point, Forums can make things worst than they are cause most users just get their phone and go one with life

But,I do worry to be honest and yes I concede that there is potentially a serious problem coming.

4. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Work somewhere that follows a Six Sigma strategy and soon you'll think 99.9 is an absolute failure. :p

5. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

This (imperfections) is simply a result of the iPhone being mass assembled and partly due to being assembled in China. In the US, EU and Japan, for example, we have high standards for quality because that is what we have been accustomed to when it comes to manufacturing. Products from those countries are known to be of the highest quality and the level of detail is uncanny, especially for products that cost a "certain" dollar amount. Eventually we will forget about those things and accept these mass produced products as they are. And the people that do remember will say, "I remember back in the day when things were made so much better", just like we do now. These iPhone "issues" are simply a result of mass production.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Nothing new here. You always have to consider the source and you can't just assume that vocal = major trend.

7. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Well yes, but we're basically talking the jump from sigma 5 to sigma 6 here.

8. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Which is a jump from 1 in a 1000 bad to less than 4 in a million bad. That's a pretty big jump. If Apple sells 10 million phones today, only about 34 would be bad if 6, 10,000 if 5. I don't honestly expect Apple to make iPhones at 6 sigma levels, but the OP's mind seemed blown by 99.9 :D

9. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I would think that with an Ops guy like Tim Cook running Apple, they would fully embrace six sigma methodology. Anyone working at Apple can confirm?

10. cbutters macrumors member

The real question here is where did you pull the 99.9% figure? Out of your butt? or is that a real number referenced somewhere... because 99.9% quality control is absolute crap... guaranteed it isn't 99.9

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Your math is way off. Say it is 99.9% whereever that number came from and there are 8 million units in that batch. The defective would be 8,000 not 60,000. That's 1 out of every 1000 defective.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well when I was in HS anything less than 95% was considered failing... However you're correct, those in the 0.1% will be much more vocal than those who has a perfectly functioning device.

13. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

We saw the same thing with the new iPad. If you went to the iPad form right when it came out You thought every iPad had a defective screen. I think there was one guy who returned his ipad like 13 times. On forums like this More often than not it will be the people with issues that post about it. People that have a device with no issues aren't going to feel compelled to post about it.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Coming into MacRumors and judging the Apple quality by the posts here is like judging the health of the nation by walking into a hospital and yelling "hey! Who is sick around here?". :rolleyes:

15. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

My point is this...if it scuffs let apple know, let people know. Apple want's to be held to a gem like standard let them know this is not going to fly.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You mean let them know that their product will shows signs of use if you use it? Could shake the company to the core.