Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aYvYyyPhNa

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
Bought two 11” LTE models and they both curve towards the screen at the antenna line. So that makes it four I’ve been through that were curved like that. Only visible if you’re really looking for it.

Guess that’s just the way it is for the LTE models.

thedemoncowboy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2019
Mine should I get the 10.5?

Attachments

• C62236D0-85B1-416C-8236-E5A059D67B3B.jpeg
    C62236D0-85B1-416C-8236-E5A059D67B3B.jpeg
    872 KB · Views: 474

thedemoncowboy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2019
It appears that your iPad Pro has the typical cellular antenna-line bend. Consider the Wi-Fi only version as an interim solution until Apple fixes the bend issue.
Well that’s kinda a bummer then I could just get the 10.5 and have no issues, or get the non WiFi

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Well that’s kinda a bummer then I could just get the 10.5 and have no issues, or get the non WiFi
Realistically, you likely have no issues now. This bend looks about the same as mine, which is only noticeable if I’m holding it just so, and doesn’t impact any functionality whatsoever.

Reactions: Donfor39

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
It looks like most of the cellular models have this bend to some extent. I went to Apple Store to see if I can buy a straight iPad (12.9 inch, LTE). Opened the box right there - same bend/curve. A bit more on top and less on bottom, compared to mine.

Returned it right away and decided to stick with mine. At least everything else is perfect.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I'm in the same dilemma. I believe I have until Jan. 8 to exchange. I checked mine again against a few different rulers. It's definitely bent, but exactly how much is more difficult to measure. It might very well be within the 4 sheets of paper the Apple VP mentioned. So,
1. It's not a functional issue.
2. It's not a cosmetic issue -- I cannot see it except if I hold it against a straight edge.
It is simply disappointing as a quality issue. Not enough to return it, I think.

Reactions: flur

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Yeah, to be fair I didn’t see the bend until I read about it in the forums and decided to look down the edge. It does flex a little bit when laying screen down on a table, but not much, and it looks straight from the side.

So, I’d say if you can’t see the bend/curve it everyday use, then it’s not worth obsessing over it. I wasn’t going to return mine because of this issue. The only reason I went to Apple Store to see if I can get a straight one is because many posters here say they have perfectly straight LTE iPads. Well, either they didn’t look hard enough (and I encourage them not to and just enjoy their tablets) or my Apple Store has a stockpile of bent ones. The Wi-Fi ones they had on display were all perfectly straight though.

Reactions: flur

Krirkfah

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
My 11-inch iPad is also bent. I put it with a case in my backpack. Then, I found it’s bent about a week after I purchased. This experience made me dissatisfied. Apple should take on the responsibility for the fragility of their product.
F8BB0399-312A-488A-B7B8-16B4D263492A.jpeg

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
My 11-inch iPad is also bent. I put it with a case in my backpack. Then, I found it’s bent about a week after I purchased. This experience made me dissatisfied. Apple should take on the responsibility for the fragility of their product.
View attachment 814154

This is exactly how mine looked out of the box. Measured about 2mm gap from straight edge. Returned the unit. May buy again later after inspecting for a better one, or getting WIFI instead and just hotspot. Actually waiting on Zagg glass screen protector reports since the whole package is what I’m after.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
Mine is also bent now, on the top left corner, on the antenna line - LTE version.

Pretty sure that it wasn't when I bought it, because I inspected it after the first reports of bendgate, so Apple's claim that it won't get worse is false.

Is Apple replacing them as part of warranty?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
View attachment 814154

My 11” LTE was bent about like yours. Not being sure about where this is going, how these will fare over time, and how Apple will treat owners, I returned it yesterday while the window was still open. Im not confident about future warranty coverage. I’m going to watch this for a while before deciding what to do. I wasn’t prepared to buy a replacement right now.

thedemoncowboy

Suspended
Jan 2, 2019
View attachment 814154
This was like it before you put it in the case the curve is the same as everyone else’s

aYvYyyPhNa

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2015
View attachment 814154
I bet you that’s from the camera bump. Try putting a ruler on it and see.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
My 12.9 1Tb has a slight curve at the antenna lines, you have to really look hard to see it though. Considering they flex im not worried, my iPad Air 2 (now sold) was very bent at the top where the plastic cut out was and it could easily be flexed along its length even though its tiny compared with my new one. Apple wont change this till the iPad Pro Gen 4 I imagine, and since I love my iPad and it works just fine with a great screen , im just going to accept that large lumps of thin aluminium mass produced with plastic moulded in a new heating process may have this issue, and after discovering my Air 2 looked worse (it was in a leather case for 4 years, well I am really not that worried. I imagine like with OLED TV's its very hard to make large slim line screens and a chassis without some curve when mass produced no matter what the cost.

phoenix1

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2019
This is my 12.9" wifi 512gb model :'(. Ive had the same issue with portability. I kept it in the seat pocket of my car and it completely deformed. Ive kept my previous iPad in the same place and never had an issue. My heart sunk when I went to use it.

Has anyone escalated this to Tribunal? Apple have been unsupportive so i have gone to Fair Trading and they have referred me to do the same. Any info that can help I'd really appreciate it. I'm getting some legal advice so just gathering as much info as I can :(.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
This is my 12.9" wifi 512gb model :'(. Ive had the same issue with portability. I kept it in the seat pocket of my car and it completely deformed. Ive kept my previous iPad in the same place and never had an issue. My heart sunk when I went to use it.

Has anyone escalated this to Tribunal? Apple have been unsupportive so i have gone to Fair Trading and they have referred me to do the same. Any info that can help I'd really appreciate it. I'm getting some legal advice so just gathering as much info as I can :(.

View attachment 833427 View attachment 833428 View attachment 833429 View attachment 833430 View attachment 833431

Yikes. Hard to believe that happens by accident. Mine has traveled to multiple countries, been smashed in bags, etc. Still no bend. But I hope you are able to get it resolved.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA

View attachment 833427 View attachment 833428 View attachment 833429 View attachment 833430 View attachment 833431

Looks straight to me lol.
[doublepost=1556073522][/doublepost]

The bend on the cellular antenna is pretty common at the top and bottom.

Although, my 1TB 11” doesn’t have this. 2 months in so far. And it is fabulous! This was the third cellular iPad Pro 11” I’ve bought due to touch related issues.. But, after the 12.2 iOS update, I’m kinda questioning if the past models even had a real touch problem at all.

My experience with the iPad Pro 3rd Gen model went from good, to very bad, to excellent!!

This is my most used, and prized possession!

I wish everyone good luck in the pursuit of happiness with the iPad Pro 3rd gen

Last edited:

phoenix1

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2019
Yikes. Hard to believe that happens by accident. Mine has traveled to multiple countries, been smashed in bags, etc. Still no bend. But I hope you are able to get it resolved.

It wasn't but thanks, i hope so too :(. It's been such a long process to escalate, but I'm hanging in there. Glad that yours is ok :).

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK

Those crease marks where it’s bent look like areas where pressure has been applied somehow. Maybe carrying it in a car and punching it in a moment of road rage is a bad idea ;) Joking aside I don’t think that would happen by accident ever, I’m not calling you a liar (I am a bit) but I’m just saying marks like that don’t happen without some form of impact. My 12.9” 1 TB unit is doing fine and has been taken out in its case and it’s still as flat as the day I got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: russell_314

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Those crease marks where it’s bent look like areas where pressure has been applied somehow. I don’t think that would happen by accident at all, I’m not calling you a liar I’m just saying marks like that don’t happen without some form of impact generally. My 12.9” 1 TB unit is doing fine and has been taken out in its case and it’s still as flat as the day I got it. Hope you get some form of resolution anyhow.

Honestly it looks like that iPad has been sat on with like 200 pounds of weight lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.