Where (and how much) can I get the NEW cheapest MBA 13"base model+8GB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by passingapple, Jul 15, 2012.

1. passingapple macrumors member

Hello, MacRumors folks.

I am considering to buy the new MBA 13" basic model with RAM upgraded to 8GB and where can I get it the cheapest? I did briefly consider buying 11" MBA+8GB RAM+128GB HD, but then it's $100 less than 13" MBA+8GB RAM. I think I'd rather get SD card slot+2 HR more battery life+bigger screen if the difference is only $100; besides I'll be already paying close to $1200 anyway. Yes, 13" is bigger than 11" to carry around, but as of now, I'm getting 13".

Anyway, it appears that Amazon and Best Buy don't offer the 8GB basic 13" MBA model, so maybe MacMall's $1269.98+free shipping+no tax is the cheapest?

I know Apple offers the student discount, but after paying tax (I live in NJ, so it's about 7% or almost $80), their price becomes $1318.73. They do currently offer free $100 itune/app store back-to-school gift card, but it'd like paying $50 for $100 gift card that I probably don't need at this time. Without the student discount, it becomes $1389.93 with no gift card.

Google search didn't give me much, so MacMall is all I've got. I figure you folks might know more on these things. Thanks in advance!

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I'm getting mine at family discount from apple for $1265.54 thats tax included.
    Base 13" with 8Gb of ram.

4. Nerio27 macrumors member

For me, it was apple.com. I am a student living in maryland (6% tax). I have a discover card and my birthday is in July (5% cashback from apple store orders + 2% additional for my birthday month). I wanted the same model.

Student price for the base model: $1149

Add $90 for the 8GB upgrade: $1239
    7% cashback via discover: -$86
    6% Tax: +$74
    Total after cashback and tax: $1227
    Adding the $100 Gift card: $1127

Like a previous poster mentioned, you can sell the gift card for a good amount. You may also find some uses for it for your new Mac or mobile apps if you have an iPhone.

5. SoIsays macrumors regular

For the Macbook spec you are interested in, there's only a few places you can get that from (B&H Photo and maybe Macmall). Be aware that they have no returns allowed. For me, if the savings is $100 or below, it's not worth the hassle should you get a defective product. If you get something like $150-$200 like the Best Buy student discount and sale then it's better, especially when Best Buy allows you to return the product within 30 days without restocking--bad news is they don't have 8gb MBA's.

6. asting, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

asting macrumors 6502

They don't go for that now. Check out the completed listings. You'll get 85-90 before the fees and whatnot.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's still a decent $75 back all said and done. Not huge but worth a few nights out at a bar.

I know my case isn't typical, but I really dislike the MAS and do not own any other iDevices. So for people like me, $75 is better than a useless plastic card.

8. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Wait for tax-free weekend in August (if your state has one) and order with student discount if you can. My plan.:D. But it is a hard wait....

9. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

The tax free weekend where I live topped out at $750 for computers last year, so the only Mac that was tax free was the $599 MacMini.

10. jmgag03 macrumors member

If you buy from MacMall make sure you know that they are going to charge a restocking fee of 15% if you need to return it for any reason. That can end up costing you ALOT! I just had a very bad experience with them. I don't know if B&H will charge you a restocking fee or not. Apple won't.

:apple:

11. chazmink macrumors member

Order from the apple Store on line and have it shipped to the Christiana, DE store..notax and student and government discounts available. That is what I did.

12. passingapple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone so far!

It sounds like they are really limited options if I want to get 8GB MBA 13". Just MacMall and B&H. As far as I know both of these places charge you restocking fee if you return it. But I highly doubt that they will charge the restocking fee if MBA is a defect though, unlike SoIsays and jmgag03 wrote. If they refuse to accept defective product returns and/or charge restocking fee for them, well that's basically a fraud, isn't it? If it breaks down after while, I think I should be able to get it fixed through Apple via the 1 year built-in warranty or 3 year applecare. I've seen this done before.

So either I'd better darn make sure it is what I want and get it from MacMall (and save $50 bucks+no gift card) and don't return it other than it being a defect initially or get it from Apple and see if I can get some cashback like Nerio27 suggested. I think I can get 2% back for Apple store purchase while 3% for MacMall purchase. Hmmm.

Unfortunately no tax-free weekend for NY+NJ. And I have no car as I live near NYC, so driving to Christiana, DE seems like not worth the cost and effort. Thanks for the info, though!

13. Birone macrumors newbie

Would anyone know if the tax free weekend would apply in the online apple store? I too want the 13" MBA w/ 8GB. Or would this be in-store only? I live in Missouri and ours is set for Aug. 3-5.

14. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

15. passingapple thread starter macrumors member

crazyxzer0,

in terms of the price, MacMall is still the cheapest at $1269.98. bhphoto is $1299.99 and only for pre-order (with no estimate ship date). Of course, it gives out discount for other products, such as 50% apple care you mentioned. But so far, the cheapest I've found for MBA 13" base model +8GB RAM upgrade is:

<Price only>
    For regular folks: MacMall $1269.98
    For students living in tax-free states or states that have tax-holidays: Apple store $1239.99

Obviously Apple student discount gives you $100 app store/itune gift card that expires in 2 years.

Now for the MBA 13" base model w/4GB RAM, there are a few more options, such as Amazon, which from time to time offers it as low as $1139.99 (free SH+no tax). Best Buy also offers it for $1139.99, but in most states you pay sales tax. However, if you have a working .edu email address+your student ID, you can get further $100 discount, which will cancel out the sale tax and maybe further $20 or so discount in the end.

16. kodeman53 macrumors 65816