Where and Why have I got a 157GB backup file on my HD..Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rollercoaster63, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Rollercoaster63, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Rollercoaster63 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro running Lion 10.7.4: If I click the apple icon (top left corner) then more info then storage and have a look at the Hard drive usage I have a Backup file of 157.55 GB. why is this. If I right click on my mackintosh HD icon on desktop and get info the it returns this: Capacity 465.49 GB......Available 140.1 GB......Used 325.3.

If I add all my apps, programs, photos, movies, music then I am missing this 157.55 GB which is apparently being used for a backup.

Now if I open finder , click GO, MY computer and right click to get INFO I am given this: Capacity: 465.49GB....Available 282.76GB...Used 182.73 This is about correct if I add all the total sizes of my files up.

How do i get rid of this backup file so that I can use this space. I also have an external 2TB hard drive which is dedicated to TIME MACHINE and is permanently connected to my computer.

Please help me with this and thank you for any answers posted..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because Time Machine creates a local backup on your laptop.

Issue this command in the terminal to stop it from being used.
    sudo tmutil disablelocal

3. Rollercoaster63 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you..worked like a charm..You are a Star. Would you be able to tell me if I can un partition my HD without reformatting. I want to remove the bootcamp drive I created...Once again thank you.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You should, just rerun the bootcamp program in utilities folder and there will be an option to delete it.