Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I don't know if I am confused between Mac OS and Windows. As far as I recall, in older versions of Mac OS, there was a folder to store photos and another folder to store videos. Where are these two folders located in Sierra? They also disappeared in El Capitan. Thanks.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
They also disappeared in El Capitan.
No they didn't. Of course, it depends how you are importing your photos and videos. If you are importing them both into the Photos app, then they are stored in the Photos Library file, which is in Home Folder>Pictures.

If you are importing videos into iMovie, then they are in the iMovie Library file, which is in Home Folder>Movies.

If you are importing your photos and videos direct into Finder, then they will be wherever you imported them to.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
my imac the photos in photos are not in home>pictures

They must in photos app folder as not in home folder.
EDIT: is there just in photos app file.

my imac has el capitan.
But same on my 2009 macbook with sierra photos app images NOT in pictures folder.

EDIT:
only way to see photos is to view package contents on the photo library file in photos

Last edited:

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
If you're talking about the media folders disappearing from the sidebar in the newer OSs, they're still there you just have to go into your Home folder (the one with your User Name on it) to find them. If you want quick access you can always drag the folders back into the sidebar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.