Where are the 4K Upscaled iTunes Purchgased Movies?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by -BigMac-, Sep 13, 2017.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

Didnt they mention all iTunes bought movies will be upscaled to 4k for free?
    Was there a date for this? Mine are all HD still :)

thanks!

2. TheColtr macrumors 6502

I’m going to assume that it’ll be next week when the 4K Apple TV launches. I doubt they will update content, or allow any 4K content to be purchased before that date.

3. Tech198, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G5

Yes all content will be upgraded as no charge, this includes any purchased.

4. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 68000

-BigMac-

Fingers crossed
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Hope its iTunes wide and not just on the AppleTV4k. Got a nice shiny 4k monitor i wanna play this on

5. mac.cali macrumors 65816

They're only going to upgrade movies that have 4k from the studios. It's going to be a while before it's migrated on over. Not very many 4k discs out there compared to bluray.

6. TheColtr macrumors 6502

It won’t be Apple TV 4K specific, but I assume they’ll wait till either the Apple TV 4K drops or until iOS 11 drop, since the new iPad pros are capable of playing HDR content. From what I’ve seen some people are already seeing HDR options on their iTunes movie purchases, but I don’t know of any 4K options yet. I’ve had a 65 inch 4K hdr tv for about a year now just waiting for this moment. Between the 4K Apple TV and the new Xbox one X I’ll be in 4K HDR heaven soon enough!

7. high3r macrumors member

If the rumours are true that 4k streaming will require 15Mbit/sec then it's going to be pretty low quality even if it's HEVC. The current 1080p movies/shows on iTunes are also very low quality (5 Mbps) and it shows because the picture is washed out and many details are lost. 720p iTunes is a lot better in this regard as it's 4 Mbps and looks better than 1080p.

8. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

I seriously doubt this upgrade is going to happen all at once, and over night. It will most likely be a gradual roll out as Apple gets the content from the studios. Over time, as more and more digital movies are offered in 4k/HDR then our previous purchases will then be upgraded. Until then, we'll just have to be patient.

9. archer75 macrumors 68020

They will likely only be visible on the ATV 4K. And everywhere else just HD. It's how netflix works. If you don't have a 4k display it doesn't even show a 4k option. Even though the same title may be available in 4k.

10. devilsnj30 macrumors member

I am assuming since Apple is going H.265 with all of their content they will be able to stream pretty good quality. I remember they stressed about the H.265 in June.

11. Donfor39 macrumors 65816

Donfor39

Apple t.v. Saved@ Currys u.k.

Purchase when I see 4k movies to rent-not before.

Interesting file support posts -lots of new info to enjoy for a few weeks,

Forgot from wwdc-was a release date mentioned -2017 or 2018.