Where are the bigots?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This rather lame video tries to expose a double standard. As far as I can tell, it succeeds in exposing the film maker's ignorance.

There seem to be abundant claims by right-wing types that they are being unjustifiably tarred with the "racist" label for simply expressing dislike of President Obama. To me, these claims come off as a sort of pre-emptive defensive assault, an effort to set up a play of the victim card. Ultimately, it makes me wonder if right-wingers even understand what racism is.

So my question is, does this happen (unjustified accusations of racism)? Has anyone observed it? Do left-wing types use "racist!" as a tool to stifle debate (this is the complaint I hear), and if so, does it work?

2. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

3. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It's very simple; when two of the major issues you have with a politician are the legitimacy of their birthplace (in combination with their ethnicity) and their religious affiliation, you are racist in terms of believing your own place of birth and religion are superior to the accused.

If you simply have a beef with their political views, then you are not. I want to believe Democrats can see the difference, but since those two issues keep popping up, it's hard for them to keep a straight argument and they start to mix them up.

5. Zombie Acorn, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Racism accusations are used here daily. It helps democrats simplify and cope with a complex problem.

Don't like illegal immigrants? Racism. Don't like high homicide rates prevalent in particular cultures? Racism. Try to understand the side of a Hispanic person when a black person is shot? Racism. Bash Islam? Racism, make sure to include a comment about Christianity.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Stereotype and demonise undocumented immigrants as all dishonest, thieving, lying, untrustworthy, and dangerous. Bonus for using "illegal" as a synonym for "Mexican".

Blame the high homicide rates on "blacks" or the thinly veiled "black culture" rather than the real confounders that cause increased crime in a population.

Try to defend Zimmerman not because he is hispanic, but because your ideology is so entrenched with guns that you viscerally want one to be used for a high-profile, self-defence victory (despite no evidence of such).

Islam isn't a race. Neither is christianity. A good example of not understanding what constitutes race or racism.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I am a liberal, and I am prone to prejudice, of judging people by my preconceived notions.

Knowing how I am prone to these thoughts, it is simply too much for me to believe when people claim they are immune to them, and even more difficult to believe that society has gotten beyond it.

I believe those people are simply fooling themselves.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

It is getting old. You know, "Just because I don't like someone whose father was Kenyan and who has a funny name doesn't mean I'm a racist!"

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Undocumented workers have to be dishonest, that's how they are able to work, fraudulent behavior. I, as an immigrant to a foreign country, understand this more than most.

The gang members? Rappers who children look up to that showcase violence, gang membership, using women as whores, doing drugs, thug life? Mmm such a rich environment, now all we need is a failing education system and structured poverty.

You are right guns aren't a race.

A good example that many of the libs here don't, I agree. Since racism shouldn't counter a criticism to a religion, culture, or ideal. You pretty much just summed it up here.

----------

Im not a birther for one, but contributing someone's skepticism of nationality to racism seems odd. I have nothing against Kenyans, I know a few, good people.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I agree, poverty and all of the negatives that come with it sucks. Now what does this have to do with race?

11. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

Daily, huh? Can you support that with examples? Can you show what part of it is unjustified, an attempt to oversimplify or deflect? Or should we just take your word for it?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

From now on, I'm going to refer to all of you more conservative folk as "cons". Because really, it's seems to be what you're best at.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Funny, Lee... (If you don't get it, look up both meanings of cons in French :p)

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If the shoe fits...

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Did you miss my culture remarks above that?

Do we really have to go back over the fact that more white people are living in poverty than black? Its not a skin color issue, I know enough African natives to know that.

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

If your inquiry is sincere, here's one of my favorite PRSI examples.

New Jobs Numbers

Someone starts a very timely and interesting thread, on job numbers. It takes all of eleven posts before someone decides the issue requires too much gray matter and states a PRSI favorite: "just hating on Obama because he's black." Always goes unchecked by The Usuals.

If your response to this example is: "Well, ok. But that's just one. Zombie said 'daily.'" Then I concede - I won't be able to link to the race card being needlessly played each day over the past month. Someone with more time may be up to the task.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just take my word for it, you are too involved to see it for yourself.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ive seen enough studies to know that most of the "cultural" issues you state exist mainly in poverty stricken areas.

Your "thugs etc." comment came right in response to .Andy's post about so called "black culture", can you blame for thinking you considered the "cultural elements" you spoke of as related mostly to the black community?

And no, Zombie, we won't just take your word for it, you've always come off as someone who looks around at whats right in front of you for your anecdotal evidence. The "can't see the forest from the trees" mindset seems to apply.

Try the longview and you'll see that economics seem to play a much larger role in exactly whom rises out of those destitute conditions...

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Something you cons always say when you know you can't prove anything.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I guess I am wrong, it is a shared culture.

[​IMG]

21. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You misspelt "no".

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Aren't you one of The Usuals at this point? I mean, you are post number 12. I didn't show up until post 76 and only to argue with someone about the numbers and note "The direction of this thread took a weird turn with the whole racism argument..."

There are people who argue that Republicans are racist against any criticism of Obama; they're annoying, but Zombie's diatribes against blacks and "illegals" is fundamentally flawed. That others play a similar game does not absolve Zombie of his prejudiced and wrong-headed statements.

23. gemnilocs macrumors 6502

gemnilocs

Well said! Thank you!!!!

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Touché.

I was not speaking towards anything other than what I quoted of Sydde. The thread concerns "the race card," and I stayed OT. If ZA went too far in another direction, I really don't care. I'm more interested in staying on this topic. Sydde, who started the thread posed the question. I responded.

25. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

And your response was a fair enough example of the race card being misplayed. Yet, if you read through the thread, the race thing looks to me like a minor diversion, like a buzzing gnat to the greater discussion that gets pulled back on topic by the majority of the posters. My contention is that the whole "race card" complaint is far over-blown compared to its real incidence, and your example does more to support me than it does to refute me.