Where are the new 13" MBP 3.3GHz i7 benchmarks/reviews?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TazmoStarkana, Nov 17, 2016.

1. TazmoStarkana macrumors regular

I'm considering getting the new 13" MBP /w maxed out specs, but am unable to find benchmarks/reviews of it. Everything I found tests the base models.

Would also like to find benchmarks/reviews of the 2.9GHz i7 QC in the 15"

I would very much appreciate it if anyone has any input on this.

I am curious if there is a noticeable performance difference between the i5 and i7.

2. ballyhoos, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

ballyhoos macrumors member

I'd watch this video first and take note of the bench mark specs...

... and then compare the geek bench results from the i7 CPU upgrade on the base model.
    http://imgur.com/a/Lql7v

The base model offers better speakers, battery life, and CPU performance based on the i7 upgrade and the GPU difference wouldn't really be noticeable, even with the slower RAM clock over the standard TB version. So I think the upgraded i7 base model may actually be a better buy based on this for the very same money if you weren't interested in the TB itself?

Attached Files:

3. brojan macrumors member

I might consider this. Not in love with touch bar although it is cool at first.

Only thing I really like about the new MBP compared to my old one is the form factor, size, and weight.

I prefer my 2014 rMBP keyboard and ports.

The non-TB version with maxed out cpu/ram/ssd might be my cup of tea with a bit better battery life and save some cash on the touch bar.

4. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much! Much appreciated!!

But I wish I could compare the user experience between the i5 and i7 instead of just benchmaek numbers

5. ballyhoos, Nov 17, 2016

Look at it from this aspect... You may not notice the speed difference initially however as time goes on the higher the spec, the longer it takes to slow down over the course of it's life time esp as programs/apps become resource hungry. This way your machine lasts just that little bit longer before having to upgrade, and then you'll notice the performance differences from the user experience. ;)

Edit: Also just noticed one cannot upgrade the SSD on the 13" TB version. Odd.

6. TazmoStarkana, Nov 17, 2016

TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

7. ballyhoos macrumors member

[Deleted] - As I clicked on the "middle version" expecting to be able to upgrade the SSD.

8. TazmoStarkana thread starter macrumors regular

Yes you CAN upgrade the SSD. Pick the 512gb base model. It gives you the option to upgrade to 1TB max.

[​IMG]

Space isn't what I need, the 250g will do, I am very afraid of the user experience being less responsive and sluggish.

The only game I play is Leuge of Legends. I think the 550 iris will do well. I even set it on lowest settings for max fps.

I do use photoshop, and xcode which are the most resource hungry apps. photoshop for graphic work and xcode to code and compile apps. both go together.

I have a 2014 MBP with the 2.2GHz QC (base) and it seems to accomplish everything I do but I do notice some sluggishness when dealing with large images in photoshop.

I would very much appreciate everyone's input on this because I will place my order on BH and they do not have a return policy.

One more thing I wanna add is that I will sell my current mac to pay for the new one (plus some extra ofc). I am downgrading to the 13inch for portability and lightness. It's more convenient for me, but when I do work and use photoshop etc I have it hooked up to a single 5k external display, and when I go I just unplug it from the monitor and go.

This new macbook will be an addition to the 5K LG display I will get. This way there is one cable from display to laptop that charges it and powers the display. Then when I leave I just unplug it.

The complete setup is this:

One line from the LG 5K Display to MBP. Then one line from display to DAC/AMP. And 2 lines from DAC/AMP to 2 speakers. And obviously a power line to DAC/AMP and display. Very clean and mobile. My guess is that I can use the display as a hub to link the MBP to DAC/AMP. I am praying this is the case because this setup is very clean and ideal for me. I used to have a 5K iMac and MBP and couldn't deal with 2 devices with 2 OSes being out of sync.

Anyway... rant over. :D

9. ballyhoos, Nov 17, 2016

Well the evidence points (numbers) to the 2.4 i7 out performing the base 2.9GHz i5 on the TB versions and both clearly out perform last years model esp with 16gb of RAM. So I don't think you'll have an issue if comparing it to your older model. The decision then is how much money you'll want to throw at it additionally, (the RAM clock speed and Graphics cards) and will you notice that difference from that money spent?