where can get the tools that Apple Store Genius used to pry open the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kiersten, May 27, 2011.

1. Kiersten macrumors newbie

Where can get the tools that Apple Store Genius used to pry open the iPad 2?

When I visited the local Apple Store with my friend, the Genius opened up her
    iPad 2. The backside was taken off in order to fix a speaker problem. It looked
    like a plastic knife with several notches. I asked the Genius where to buy one
    and he wouldn't tell me.

(before anybody jump in and tell me that I can never put it back together....
    I have successfully taken apart my Sony Playstation 3 down to bare parts and
    and put everything back together, in order to adjust the Blu-ray loading
    mechanism..... so taking apart the iPad shouldn't be that difficult? as long as
    I get my hands on the proper tools)

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

These should do the trick. link

You may also want to get these. link

3. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

It's not a case of taking it apart that's the problem. It's that it's physically glued into position.

You would have to split the glued joint, hoping not to damage anything as you are trying to pull the screen away from the glue.
    Once you have done this, you will probably find you have a real mess of hardened glue stuck on the back of the screen and the iPad.

Ideally then you would need to remove this and apply new adhesive.

4. chriszzz macrumors 6502

Apple stores don't open them. Did you actually witness them open it?

Take a look at ifixit.com and see why opening an iPad isn't a trivial as opening a PS3.

5. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Calling BS on this.
    NO way did they open it up in front of you and even if they did I would not accept back an iPad that had been opened(butchered) in an Apple store.
    It`s a sealed unit, that`s why their policy is to replace the whole unit in the event of, say, a failed battery.

As others have said, opening it may well be possible but re-assembling it basically requires re-manufacturing it.

7. Stefx73 macrumors regular

I agree with the guy who agrees with the one above.

8. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I agree it's BS. Genius staff never open devices at the store...with the exception of iPhone 3G or 3GS (those can easily be opened to replace the screen), and with 100% certainty I would bet that they never open iPads innstore. They are sent off to be repaired and a replacement is given (or ordered). Who is this time waster? (and was it really a genius that "opened" it or do they just want to open it by themselves for some unknown reason.)
    Curiouser and couriouser.....

9. smacman macrumors 6502

I agree with guy above me and the guy who agrees with the guy who agrees with the one above..

10. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

I agree with you, And them

And you.....

11. melman101 macrumors 68030

I agree with all of you as well.

12. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

13. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I agree with your agreements of aforesaid people mentioned above... :rolleyes:

14. Stefx73 macrumors regular

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Bravo Sierra.

I want to party with you, dude.

16. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

The major difference is that a PS3 has moving parts so it has to be serviceable... the idea being that replacing a broken $4 servo motor on a blu-ray drive is MUCH cheaper for Sony than replacing the entire $300 system.

Ipad2 doesn't have any moving parts, so the failure rate should be lower... meaning that Apple can afford to glue it together which should help keep tech monkeys from fiddling with it, inadvertently breaking it and sending it back in for warranty purposes.... which reduces the number of returns they have to deal with.

17. brayhite macrumors 6502a