Where can I buy a slot loading Bluray Drive for my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by avihappy, May 19, 2009.

1. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

This is not related to the other bluray thread on here.

I am looking for a slot loading Blu Ray drive (I do not want write capability) for my iMac Aluminum. I know fastmac sell a Bluray drive for $999, but that has the unnecessary write capability which jacks up the price. So, does anyone know where to get a slot loading BD-ROM for the iMac?

2. avihappy thread starter macrumors 6502

avihappy

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Since you say you only want read capability, I suspect you want to play blu-ray videos. However, even if it fits, OSx will not play blu-ray videos. Others report some success doing this with Vista via Bootcamp though.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well he/she will have MASSIVE troubles there (if infact trying to play movies), unless he/she will use bootcamp. there has been tons of success using bootcamp, you are pretty much ensured success - dont put any doubt in the OPs mind gee haha!

OP: ENSURE that the iMacs drive size is 12.5mm, because if the iMac takes 9.5mm drives and you buy a 12.5mm then you are in deep trouble..i will say that the iMac uses 12.5mm but, have a search around.

EDIT: ahh, i see the drive is a 12.7mm model.. be careful

5. avihappy thread starter macrumors 6502

avihappy

LOL, I know I will have to use boot camp! So you are saying that this drive might not fit?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok few at least you know what your after :)

there is always a slight possibility that the drives could not fit, after a quick google i found an apple premium site 'claiming' that the 12.7mm drives will fit. have a look around yourself and see how you go, if the drives are 12.7mm then you will be fine with that newegg one.

7. avihappy thread starter macrumors 6502

avihappy

Further investigation brings up this Ars Technica page that says it uses a 12.7mm drive: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/new-imac-promptly-stripped-to-pieces-by-ifixit.ars

Now, will OS X recognise the drive?

8. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I have this drive. I bought it off ebay in an external usb 2 case! £100

I thought about putting it in my 24" imac or new mac mini, but will continue to use it as it is.

Be carful with powerdvd 9 under bootcamp, vista and windows 7 drivers are a bit doggy saying my nvidia graphics are not supported. BS! But its still put an end to my Blu-ray watching!

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there is a slight chance that it wont work, as there is with all hardware - chances are it will work though.

osx has no troubles reading and writing to bluray discs, its just the decoding/reading of bluray MOVIES that is currently not supported (copyright issues and whatnot).

10. avihappy thread starter macrumors 6502

avihappy

Do think it is possible to take the iMac into an Apple Authorized Service provider and have them install the drive for me at my expense? I ask because I want to preserve the AppleCare I have.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its worth a try, the would probably charge an arm and a leg :cool: