Where can I buy Desktop Studio Monitor Stands?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by odinsride, Jun 5, 2007.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I'm looking for some stands for my studio monitors to raise them about 8-10" off my desk. The ones on Musicians Friend only seem to be for raising the monitors off the floor, but I just need something to raise them off my desk (no space on the floor for them) Does anyone know where to find something to suit my needs?

Thanks

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

try the Yellow Pages. literally. i've seen phonebooks used for this purpose several times.

dunno if you'll find an actual manufactured item for this, it's kind of an odd height. will 8-10" put the tweeters at ear level?

3. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

yes i was hoping for something manufactured :) 8-10" would put the tweeters right at ear level. It could be something not marketed as a 'studio monitor stand', as long as it looks okay on my desk. I'm just not good at thinking of non-conventional uses for products :p Any other ideas?

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you can find some (more or less) hockey-puck-sized rubber discs and stack them, that might not only look cool but provide some speaker damping.

i've seen cinder blocks used for this, as well.

5. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

I have an idea!

Empty cassette covers! No, Really! Stick them together with no-more-nails, or another kind of strong glue, and use them (providing the speakers arent to big). And, it even looks kind of 'apple-ish'.
    And I presume that you are talking speakers now, not studio monitors as in the screens.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

let us know at which frequency that will resonate.

7. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I ended up buying some full size stands from musiciansfriend and they've been working great (I made room for them :p)

8. penguinpaul macrumors member

penguinpaul

I know it's nuts. They can be a bit harsh on the treble...

9. wjwdss macrumors newbie

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

Concrete bocks come in that size. You want the "half blocks". an 8" cube costs about a buck each at Home Depot. It you want them to look nicer use paint. You can position them so you can see through the large hole or not. Concrete is sonically "dead" and will not move around. You can buy rubber stick-on feet to protect the table if you like