Where can I find a true 30-pin extension cable? (re: Pioneer car stereo)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sofakng, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I'm using a Pioneer AVH-P8400BH car stereo and it has a special USB+dock connector cable to connect the phone to the stereo.

However, the only thing that plugs into the phone is the standard Apple 30-pin connector.

The strange thing is that most iPhone extension cables don't work because they don't have all 30-pins wired through the cable.

Are there any true 30-pin extension cables that have all 30 pins wired?

2. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

I am not really sure about your answer, but I wanted to know if you like that head unit? I have an older model and was wondering if it is worth upgrading.

3. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I upgraded from my factory car stereo (2011 Toyota RAV4) that had a single-line amber/black display so going to a 7" display is really night-and-day.

So far I'm a little torn on the unit, but I am EXTREMELY picky. My biggest complaint is probably the glare from the sun and that I can't reverse-tilt the screen (like the Kenwood units). When you're not in the sun it looks really sharp.

Also, coming from high-end computers (and my iPhone 4S, iPad "3", etc) the interface is sluggish but I've tested a ton of them and none are any faster. I would expect to be able to rapidly press the skip track button and have it respond instantly but there is definitely a delay... but like I said, there aren't any better units.

As for the pluses, it was very easy to install and it's great seeing the song, artist, album, and cover art. The "App Radio" (or "Advanced App Mode") is neat and works decently. I used MotionX yesterday for a two hour trip and worked just fine and was 10x better than looking at my tiny iPhone screen like I usually do. The phone did get extremely hot but I'm not sure what that was all about.

So far I'm pretty happy but I do need more time with it...

4. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Good question, I'm also in the market for an 30pin extension cable for my Audi A4.

I have one on order, and will let you know if it works.

-t

5. dwa2011, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

I have motion x gps and will def use it when I get this radio if I do. I expected most of this stuff. The screen only tilts one way...average responsiveness... Same old stuff. I think I'll end up getting it someday. What about video play? Can you watch videos from your iPhone or iPod?? And I am guessing that that cord is really big. I found this cord on amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003N3GRCQ/ref=mp_s_a_7?qid=1343675589&sr=8-7
    Maybe this would be good. It looks to be rated well! What do you think??

6. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I have the Cablejive cable extender as well as the dock extender. As far as I know, they are both 100% pass-thru. They both seem to work well (charging, data, etc.) with the devices I have used them with.

7. Shenaniganz08, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

wow that deck is pretty badass, didn't realize they had integrated apps now.

MY only concern is that if that pioneer cable is a proprietary cable there may be issues with using a 30 pin extension cable ( may be missing the security chip).

Your cheapest option is going to be going to ebay and finding a cheap cable from china. Just make sure to read the description really closely to make sure you are getting a true 30 pin pass through cable. A safe bet is that if it mentions that it can pass video signal then it is probably a real 30 pin cable.