Where can I find videos of Air's perfomance (with SSD)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dias, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Dias macrumors 6502

Hi guys

I'm looking for some quality videos demoing Air's v.B performance (with SSD) with everyday stuff like iLife, Internet, Office ecc. I didn't find on Youtube anything particularly useful, can you advise me something? :)

2. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

3. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi

Thank you for your links but I've already seen those videos. I was looking for something longer that illustrates everyday use of MacBook Air (starting up and working with Office, iLife, Internet related stuff, multimedia). Not just benchmarks, but some everyday usage. :)

And no, I don't have Apple Store near me. :(

4. aleni macrumors 68000

5. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, thank you for your links.

I've got pretty good idea about startup times, but how about actually working with those apps? Managing/editing photos in iPhoto, browsing 20 open tabs in Firefox, working with Office and stuff like this? :eek:

6. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

7. mrrippey macrumors regular

VMWare or Parallels video?

I would love to see XP or Windows 7 video since this is my main hesitation on buying since I will be using it as my main computer and at work we are all Wintel.

8. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

After trying both Windows 7 (RC 1) and Windows XP in Parallels on my solid state MacBook Air, I can say that XP boots in around 25 seconds, but Windows 7 RC1 boots dramatically slower, averaging around 1 and a half minutes - also, Aero doesn't work in Parallels whatsoever. The sluggishness is probably due to the 1GB shared to Windows 7.

However, in Boot Camp, both 7 and XP will work very well on the solid state MacBook Air - startup for XP is 28 secs with Boot Camp, and Windows 7 around 48 seconds.

In conclusion, use XP for virtual Windows, or use 7 for native Boot Camp.

Barbie.

9. mrrippey macrumors regular

thanks!!

I am saving up (or trying to find a great deal) on a SSD Rev B but looks more likely that I will get a hdd version and i am sure it will be slower than that. I am not so worried about boot times moreso than working with the XP applications (IE, Project, Remote Desktop, Sharepoint Designer, Visual Studio, etc).

If they happen to work well then I should be ok. Office stuff I can run in OSX.

10. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

You know, I got a great deal on my Air - a 26% discount overall off the retail price. And where did I find it? eBay !!! Brand new in sealed box, too.

Barbie.

11. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your vids, there are exactly was I was looking for.

I'm impressed with Air performance, in everyday stuff it's faster than my MacBookPro 2.8ghz&HHD. :eek:

Since I'm going to college this fall I guess I'll sell my MacBookPro and take MacBook Air instead.

p.s.: I know that I can get SSD for my MacBookPro, but I love Air's portability.

12. dudup macrumors regular

dudup

Excellent job, I already played with the Rev. B SSD on a reseller store, but I was wondering how it would behave with 3rd party apps. Even MS Word loads nicely! :D

To all Rev. B SSD owners: any noticeable drop in the performance when attached to a large external display (like 1920x1200)?

13. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Btw, how about managing a lot of photos in iPhoto and editing some video in iMovie? How MacBook Air handle that?

14. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

Managing photos with iPhoto will be as smooth as summer cherries, as it's reading the library (which the SSD does remarkably well). iMovie editing will involve both read & write, so you shouldn't be let down by MacBook Air's performance.

In conclusion, you'll prefer iPhoto managing on Air, but both are pretty good tasks. :)

Barbie.

15. Dias thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, glad to hear that. :)

I hope rev.C will be out as soon as this summer. :cool: