where can I get a job for video editing at the age of 14

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by natatos, Feb 2, 2009.

1. natatos macrumors regular

I'm 14 I make videos for youtube but me and my friends haven't gotten to get together and make a video for about 5 months so does any one want someone to edit a video for them or know of someone who does ether for the internet or a independent film my video editing software is final cut express 4.0.1:apple: you don't need to pay me unless its going to be shown in public please I'm really board and have nothing to do I wont provide you with a link to some videos because I haven't gotten to use it final cut express:apple: that much just to test it out

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

goodluck making money doing it.

Try to be a assistant to a local wedding dude.

Or don't worry about making money and just join a film group and do free stuff.

3. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

yea I dont care much about money just something to do

4. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

this isn't going to get you money. I am 14 too but this is just impractical, where is your credibility? You have to find something that will make money. If you are good at graphic design I know a website that has contests and the winner get cash prizes. $99-300 sometimes more. But I think of you really want to do video I would look for local people make an add and staple it to some telephone poles. I did that before to advertise my website and it worked wonders.

Good luck.

5. JohnEnglish macrumors newbie

look to your peers

Do parties for friends; and look to your peers as actors. But as far as $ goes you are not in the commericial movies like child actor stars, so don't expect the $.

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I don't get where the replies in this thread are coming from. The OP has stated twice, once in the original post and again at post #3, that he's not interested in making money - he just wants something to work on.

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

8. slothrob macrumors 6502

What you are looking for is an "internship" or a "work study" program. I think the local wedding photographer idea was a good one, there's going to be one of those wherever you live. Perhaps you can try and arrange something through the guidance counselor at your school.

As someone who has hired a number of interns over the years, let me give you just a couple suggestions. When looking for a job, you never want to say that you just want the job because you don't have anything better to do. If you want to get the job, then you should at least say that you want it because you're really interested in the field. So interested that you would be willing to work for free.

First jobs are also not based on experience, so they're based on the impression you can give the employer. So, in addition to being enthusiastic, you should also show attention to detail and spell words like "bored" correctly.

Good luck. Realize that internships are often more about making coffee and filing paper than doing something advanced like editing. But it's a chance to learn, and we all went through that stage to get to do what we were really interested in.

9. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

If you want to look even vaguely professional, I highly recommend you start to use punctuation in your writing.

10. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Yeah talking to your guidance counselor might work.

Maybe even transfer to a different school that has a Video or TV vo-tech program.

11. nep61 macrumors 6502

Ditto !
    You beat me to it chilipie.

12. PLS macrumors newbie

Can you help me?

I am thinking of doing short video clips to illustrate certain technical procedure in a hospital laboratory.
    For example, putting on a laboratory mask, or making a blood smear on glass slide, or showing the correct way of using the microscope, correct way of drawing blood. These should be short 0.5-1.0 minutes.

First, I have an Olympus SP-51OU 7.1 megapixel 10X optical zoom. Other than this I don't know where to begin.

Can you help? Then maybe you can edit it later.
    I may post this request again on another separate thread.

I also have an iMac OS X 10.4.11 at home and PC at work.
    What software for editing would I need?

Thank you.

13. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Make some really good videos and put them on YouTube. Then if you get enough views you could become a Partner. I think you get paid then.

14. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I've made money shooting videos for weddings and birthdays for friends of friends. I did a couple of birthdays/weddings for free, they showed their friends and walah! Doing free stuff also helped to build a portfolio for me.

15. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

sure.

16. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

SCHOOL!

It got around school that I liked editing videos.
    Next thing I know i'm filming huge concerts for music department, and sports games for pe department.

It was all good, but then the one where I actually got paid was to much hassle on me and my equipment which is dated and slow. Then my hardrive failed so I lost everything.

As you can imagine I didn't get paid.

It actually stressed me out so much I didnt want to look at another video again.

I want to get into it again but this time on a much lower level.

Still spread it around school. Be loud...drop hints.

It works :)

exchange youtubes??

17. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

What's the website?

18. jaysmith macrumors regular

this is where I started, in a comm. tech class in high school. It was a small school so we pretty well had free reign. I'd film most major events, and little things on the side like coffee houses and talent shows. Talk to your guidance counsellor, and try and get as many classes that gear towards this stuff. I took comm tech 5 times in 4 years, and a 2 credit co-op, and some other credit that they made up for me and a few others to do this kind of stuff. Our school always liked to have an end-of-year-video to show at the last assembly, so we'd edit that for credits. made high school pretty easy.

19. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Get your grandparent or older relative to tell their life story. Intercut some photographs to make it interesting. It could be an Xmas gift to your family members and something really important to archive.

20. godslabrat macrumors 6502

The posters suggesting you find work around school are right on the money: you spend a lot of time there anyway, and schools are always eager to have students work for nothing. They even, sometimes, let you do cool jobs because of it.

If for whatever reason you don't want to go that route, check out your local PBS affiliate or public access TV station. They won't let you near the actual equipment, most likely, but you'll learn how the industry actually works (in a very, very microscopic way). The wedding idea has merit, too, since a lot of those guys are freelance and might enjoy having you tag along if you don't get in the way.

Best advice I can give: whatever you make now, Archive it onto a DVD and keep it, FOREVER! In three years, when you're applying to colleges, that kind of thing will knock the socks off of any interviewer you'll come across-- even if you're not applying for a TV/Film degree. It's one thing to say you had a job on the side-- it's another to be able to plop a disc on their desk and say "This is what I can do when I put my mind to it."

Best of luck to you.

21. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

dude, I had a corporation when i was 16. you can do even better! work for yourself, don't work for another company. go to companies that may need a little video work done, these will be local companies who want to make local commercials, for example, and offer them your services. if they're interested and they say that they're unsure whether to trust someone as young as you, offer to make them their commercial and have them pay only if they are satisfied. you can also try the local rotary club for contacts. good luck.

22. seb-opp macrumors 6502

Get in contact with a local business which may make promo videos/advertising/full blown movies and see if you can shadow one of the video editors for a couple of days. You are probably too young to do an internship or something paid, but shadowing someone in the industry would give you an idea of what the job involves and give you some tips.

When you are older do an internship, and in the mean time learn to use grammar!!

23. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I for one would like to see what you have already created.

If you want to see mine my youtube link is in my sig.

I also have a thread compiling a list of short films made by members and I could add you to that.

24. IBITF macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    First post here so I apologize for the nooby-ish. Anyways, it's great your so excited at editing at the young age of 14. Obviously your pretty good or else you most likely wouldn't be considering it. However, since you are so young you may want to do some free editing to boost your street cred. So try some free projects and upload them to YouTube, link it in your sig ect. Remener though, you can never be to good and practice makes perfect but good luck!