Where can I get a piece of fabric to cover keys when lid closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bella92108, May 15, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I'm sure you've all experienced this (if not then you don't have a unibody macbook pro, lol). I've had about 8 unibodies both 15" and 13" and the light grease fro the keys occasionally gets transfered to the screen in the shape of keys, and I've seen many people talk about a little piece of fabric (looks just like the screen cloth) they place over the keyboard to prevent this from happening.

Anyone have an eBay or another online link to something like this? I think keyboard covers are silly, so just looking for the fabric solution.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

3. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's just a little one, I want one that covers the whole keyboard.

4. str8bucs macrumors regular

5. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

6. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

Well i dont know about buying one on its own but i bought a Tucano SecondSkin for my MBP and it comes with one....maybe they sell them separately, check out the tucano website :)

7. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Huh? I bought a Tucano Second Skin (the set where it comes with one for the mbp and one for the power adaptor) and it didn't come with one. You sure that's not packing material? lol jk.... I got gypped, haha

8. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Use code itsmemorphious at checkout on Mygearstore for 10% off.

9. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

???? The foam pad that came with my MBP's covered the entire keyboard and extended to the very edge of the Al body.

10. str8bucs macrumors regular

How is that SSD working out for you.... I put in my 8GB RAM last week and i am loving it

11. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm on MBP # 10 or so, and it's the most amazing upgrade I've ever experienced!!! Blows my socks off how quick everything works.

12. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

ohhh that thing... yeah I do still have that, I forgot about that one.. guess I could be tacky and use that, hehe.

13. vty macrumors member

iscreen or whatever they're called have an actual thing to sit in the mbp when its closed that will "clean" the screen

14. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

iScreen is a home drug test kit, hehe. I got a chuckle when I googled it. Any idea the link to the product you're talking about? I didn't see anything online like that.

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

or you could just cut a tshirt into a rectangle and use that. why would someone buy such a thing?:eek:

16. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Same reason someone supports Mac, or a luxury car company, or nice restaurant... sure at the end of the day the end product is the same, but getting there is half the fun, so why not get there in style?

If you're going to buy a Mac, which we all agree is the best of the best, why would you want to open it in public and pull out an "old t-shirt" ? hehe

I'd buy such a thing just like I'd only buy an APPLE replacement power cord or battery or anything that's sold at the apple store... because they're designed for my mac :)

17. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Like that little foam keyboard pad that came with your mac. :p

18. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, not gunna lie, I want it to be fufu, haha... something in pink, or blue, or green, or red, that I can drape around my neck and feel special when I'm with my MAC!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

19. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Check your sig you just graduated to 6502. Only took you 4 years ~~~~ :D

20. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have no idea what that means... but I'd like to thank all the little people who helped me along the way. All those who said it couldn't be done... told me my dreams were outrageous... told me that a square peg shouldn't fit into a round hole...

So now, I'm going to take my winnings and invest into a luxurious fabric rectangle to keep my finger-goo from transferring from the keyboard to the screen. It's to be made from the finest silk from the finest ferret, and I shall name it Slut. It's Slut's job to make sure to make sure to protect the screen from my liquids.

21. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

22. lanceh5 macrumors member

Where can I get a piece of fabric to cover keys when lid closed?

Go to your local fabric store and get some felt fabric. Works great.

23. Aelyrin macrumors member

I am confused.

You appear to be extremely high maintenance, as you have gone through 10 unibody macbook pros somehow? 2 years, 10 laptops. Obviously you struggle with perfection. You pay premium pricing for upgrades that likely have zero noticeable effect on your computer usage. You asked a question and were given a response with a link to a product that does exactly what you want it to do. You want something "special" or "fufu" and therefore will not resort to using something like an old t-shirt, or piece of fabric sitting around the house.

But 15 bucks is outrageously out of the question?

Don't ever buy a home or a car. You will be upset forever.

24. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic