Where can I get GarageBand 6?

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I bought a new Mac and I wanted to put the old (6.0.5) version of GarageBand on the machine (I need it for podcast recording). It doesn't appear to be on the Apple support pages anymore. Any thoughts on where I might be able to get it?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I bought a new Mac and I wanted to put the old (6.0.5) version of GarageBand on the machine (I need it for podcast recording). It doesn't appear to be on the Apple support pages anymore. Any thoughts on where I might be able to get it?
There isn't a way you can get it from Apple any more. It's EOL/practically abandonware, so you might as well set starboard sail to the 'Bay and see what's what. I'll PM you a link too. Yahar!

Once you've installed that, you can get the extra content by downloading this: swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/43/39/061-5890/y2FxthySsyd2PSt3zfZ4mz3XkbqdGZPDZc/GarageBandExtraContent.tar

• Haha
Reactions: mikzn

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
If you can't get it "Apple's way", there are "other ways".

Whether those are paths you wish to trod… is up to you.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Have you double-checked you don't have it in your purchased list in the App Store? I have GB 6.0.5 listed in addition to the newer version.

Also send feedback to Apple that you want your features back! It only takes a minute or two, and if everyone did that more often Apple would bring more features back, they do actually pay attention when a lot of people mention something.

RainySohoNight

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2018
There isn't a way you can get it from Apple any more. It's EOL/practically abandonware, so you might as well set starboard sail to the 'Bay and see what's what. I'll PM you a link too. Yahar!

Once you've installed that, you can get the extra content by downloading this: swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/43/39/061-5890/y2FxthySsyd2PSt3zfZ4mz3XkbqdGZPDZc/GarageBandExtraContent.tar
[doublepost=1517427455][/doublepost]Could you PM me it too, would be so grateful!

letspaintbirds

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2018

Could you PM me as well? Thanks in advance.

MeowMixRob

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
Hey guys I tried to download it ( currently on high Sierra 10.3.3 ) and it downloads and installs right to the end and then it says download could not be completed. Any tips ?

Dan Grant

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
It says that the garageband cant open because the identity of the developer cant be confirmed.

figured it out, I'm a Mac dummy....haha Just set the system settings to allow it to be allowed from anywhere.

EDIT:
It doesn't finish downloading like others have said....tried the help options. any help?

Last edited:

Miou

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
I know this thread is old, but in case someone else stumbles along as I did;

Changing the date to Dec 31st 2016 on the Mac (OSX El Capitan in this case) allowed the Garageband 6.0.5 installation to complete. :) Hope that helps.

pulscapades

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2020

Changing the date to Dec 31st 2016 on the Mac (OSX El Capitan in this case) allowed the Garageband 6.0.5 installation to complete. :) Hope that helps.
i just registered an account on here just so i can tell you thank you so much!!!!!

Reactions: Miou

Virginie

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2020

How do you change the date? Merci!

LucasVonO

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2020

Hi I was also wondering if this works on OSX High Sierra? Thanks for the help (I also created an account to thank you)
- - Post merged: - -

How do you change the date? Merci!
Go to system preferences-date and time-click the lock icon in the bottom left corner- change date (or just google it)

Miou

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
Hi I was also wondering if this works on OSX High Sierra? Thanks for the help (I also created an account to thank you)
- - Post merged: - -

You're welcome! I would try the date I listed anyway--if that doesn't work, try a date near and after the date of High Sierra's release. I know you can't install older Mac OS's without using said method...
[Edit] So you can try Dec 2017 for High Sierra, or August 2018? Seeing as 10.13.6 came out in July of 2018.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

LucasVonO

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2020
You're welcome! I would try the date I listed anyway--if that doesn't work, try a date near and after the date of High Sierra's release. I know you can't install older Mac OS's without using said method...
Let us know how it goes!
Will do! Yeah, I hope it will work because I’m running High Sierra on a virtual machine. I can’t do this on my Mac’s real operating system because it is running Catalina which doesn’t support 32 bit apps. Anyways thanks for the help

jbyrne

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
Thank you also worked for me. Do you have to leave the date changed after installed or can I change it back to the current date? Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.