Where can I get the (magnetic) tools needed to install an SSD in my new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NMF, Jul 7, 2012.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I'm in the process of upgrading my new MBP with an SSD in the optical drive bay. Every guide I read mentions that it's a good idea to use a magnetic screwdriver to remove the inner screws; where can I buy one?

From what I gather, these are the tools I need to complete my upgrade:

http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/T6-Torx...s&utm_term=macbook_pro_15"_unibody_early_2011
    http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Phillip...s&utm_term=macbook_pro_15"_unibody_early_2011

...but there's not magnetized.

Does anyone have a link to the correct tools that I'll need? I'm trying to get all my orders in now so that I can get to working as soon as my hardware arrives. :D

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can temporarily give a regular screwdriver a magnetic field just by rubbing a magnet along its shaft. It won't be amazing powerful, but it'll hold a small paperclip or a screw.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I went to my local sears and purchased both my Philips and torx screwdrivers, they were magnetized. You don't really need magnetized ones, but they definitely make the installation process easier.

4. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Ah, I hadn't even thought of buying locally (lol). I'm so used to getting everything from the Internet.

So all I'll need is a t6 torx and a #00 phillips, right?

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I usually just go down the street to the hardware store if I need a screwdriver, no shipping fees involved either.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yup, don't waste your time on shipping for these common screwdrivers. If you needed a pentalobe screwdriver, that would be a different story.

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the other suggestions are easiest. also you can get a Magnetizer/Demagnetizer from the hardware store aswell. Its more appropriate then a magnet as in some instances the magnet will actually take away from the screw drivers ability to be magnetized.

In addition to that, i picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stainless-Steel-Parts-Hobby/dp/B000TZ7MGQ/ref=pd_sim_auto_2 to account for and hold all screws as to not lose them.
    I got mine from Lowes for about $5

8. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just use a refrigerator magnet...

10. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Stainless steel fridge. :p

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doh.

12. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It's nice to have but not crucial. You can also use a regular magnet with a regular screwdriver.

13. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

It would be a mistake to put anything magnetic even in the same room as a computer. It will hypermagnetise its logic board.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes: No, it won't.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Modern hard drives are not effected by simple household magnets. You can put the magnet right against the drive's case and it won't do much.