Where did all the 5k Displays go ? I need one for my 2010 Mac Pro =(

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr. Stealth, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Dr. Stealth, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

So I just did a bunch of upgrades to my 2010 Mac Pro and it's running like a brand new computer. Now I'd like to upgrade my old school display to something more modern and I've decided on a 27" 5k as I do mostly CADD design, graphics, photography and a little 4k video editing from my DJI drone. I have plenty of graphics power to drive a couple of them.

One problem. Where did all the 5k's go? Are there any choices left for a Classic Mac Pro?

LG UltraFine 5k - Won't work with cMP
    HP 5k Ultra HD Z27q - Discontinued
    Dell Ultra HD 5k UP2715K - Discontinued

Philips 5k 275P4VYKEB - Discontinued

So, I ask the experts. What happened? Not enough sales to make them viable? Too many technical problems? Shortage of panels? Am I missing any other 5K displays that have not been discontinued?

Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Do you have a graphics card that can do 5k?

There probably are a few 5k displays, but they're $$$$$.
    (Perhaps money isn't an object for you).

I'm guessing that the reason that there aren't many 5k displays is that there isn't enough market demand to persuade the manufacturers to bring them to market.

I'd settle for a high-quality 4k display and be done with it.

This could change in a few more years, perhaps.

3. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

They went to take their place in the ground next to 3D TVs and curved screen displays... other great technologies that people simply don't need, can't use to their full potential and cannot afford.

I would LOVE to have 5k displays, but the reality is that a few 4K displays are probably just as well, and costs a whole lot less.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP:

If you -really- want a 5k display, time to get an iMac... ;)

5. Dr. Stealth, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017

Dr. Stealth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

Well it's not exactly like they were a failure. Apple is selling a Bazillion 5k iMacs. I think they've just tied up the market for the 5k panels. I believe LG is the only one producing the 27" 5k panel and Apple and LG have been very tight friends for a long time.

An iMac can't come close to my current Mac Pro workstation otherwise it would be an option. I ended up buying a very nice refurbished 9+ Dell Ultra HD 5k UP2715K from B&H. It'll be on my desk in three days.... :) . I will now have a 5k "Retina" Display for my 2010 Mac Pro.

6. Dr. Stealth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

I'm running dual GTX 1080 TI's so yes.... I can power a few of them with no problem.