Where did my 35 gigs of music go?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slimfinity, Aug 28, 2010.

1. slimfinity macrumors member

Ok, I have a 27" imac and mostly use it for music. I got on today to put some music on my iphone 4 and to my surprise I have like 12 songs in my itunes library. These songs are a free sampler cd download which I downloaded the other day from Austin City Limits Music Festival. Where did all my music go? Please tell me I haven't lost 35 gigs of music!! I do have an external hard drive that is supposedly used for backing up. Is it possible the music is on there, if so how do I go about getting back into my itunes? Am I missing something here?

2. eah2119 macrumors regular

You can first try looking for it. You can try looking where you're music is stored, in the iTunes Media Folder, or you can just try a spotlight search. If it's 35 gigs of music you should see a significantly large amount of disk space lost. If you know how much disk space you had used before you lost your music you can open activity monitor and under disk usage see if you actually lost 35 gigs. You should obviously look on your backup drive if it doesn't turn up, as that's what a backup drive is for. If all else fails, you can attempt to restore the 'so called' deleted music using disk utility if it hasn't been written over yet. I'm not sure how you go about doing that, though.

Hope this helps.

3. slimfinity thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help!!! Ok, all my files are in the itunes media folder, which is great news!!! How do I get my itunes to find them??

4. 184550 Guest

Should be able to drag and drop the folder onto your iTunes icon in the dock.

5. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

- File
    - - Add to Library...
    - - - /Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music
    - - - - Choose

6. slimfinity thread starter macrumors member

That did it. Thank you!!! I just wonder why it all disappeared.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Ok, all my files are in the itunes media folder, which is great news!!! How do I get my itunes to find them??"

Do you have all that music also stored away on a "backup" drive?

If not, you'd better consider getting one to serve as a "music archive" that is purposely KEPT AWAY from iTunes.

Numerous times, I have read where users have found that by doing something-or-other within iTunes (sometimes by merely connecting an iPod), that their entire music collection has been either "lost" (i.e., perhaps there but no longer easily accessible), or actually wiped out (due to iTunes "synching" in a manner that is not what the user wanted iTunes to do).

I don't let iTunes touch my collected mp3 files for exactly this reason.

I'm not interested in an application that has the power to delete files when I don't want it to delete them.