where did my HD space go? LFHelp in finding 30 gigs of space which I cannot figure ou

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Mac - I just filled up my macbook pro. I have multiple external HDs and am in the process of making room on my HD. When I do "get info" in finder window on the main HD, it says I have 148.xx Gigs - so I figure my HD was originally 150gigs or maybe it was 160 gigs. I have an intel core 2 duo macbook pro.

So I've gone though various things.

6 gigs in applications
    26 gigs parallels
    18 gigs music
    4 gigs work documents ppts, etc
    50 gigs videos
    12 gigs books/videos, misc work resources

that totals 116 gigs.

What happened to the other 30 gigs?
    Does anyone have any tips on where I can look to figure out if I have files hidden away somewhere?
    How much space does OS X tiger take up?
    my applications said 6 gigs, is this about right? or are there other files somewhere that I'm missing?
    Any tips in general would be appreciated.

I tried searching for things like HD and hard drive and making room and full hd and all I found where a million threads on the iphone.

Thanks for your help,

found some more:
    Library folder from main HD - 10 gigs
    system folder about 2 gigs

Still missing 20ish gigs ... ?

5 gigs available

still missing 15 ish gigs?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The drive is formatted so you don't get the number on the box. Tiger takes a few GBs too. The amount of free space is told to you at the bottom of each Finder window.

3. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

psychofreak is right, but you could try WhatSize? to see exactly what is taking up how much space on your had drive.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin