Where did you buy your MacBook Pro from (and what type is it)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SonicBoom1981, May 27, 2010.

?

Where did you get yout MacBook Pro from (and what type is it)?

1. from Apple Retail Store: Glossy

21 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. from Apple Retail Store: Antiglare

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. from Other Retail Store: Glossy

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. from Other Retail Store: Antiglare

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. from Apple Online Website: Glossy

24 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. from Apple Online Website: Antiglare

19 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. from Other Online Website: Glossy

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. from Other Online Website: Antiglare

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Second hand/refurbished: Glossy

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  10. Second hand/refurbished: Antiglare

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  11. Other: Glossy

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  12. Other: Antiglare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

I thought this poll might be interesting, as well as shedding some light on where people are getting their Antiglare screens from :)

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Do you get anti-glare outside Apple's online store ? Anti-glare is a CTO option, they ship it directly from the factory.

3. SonicBoom1981 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know. I asked in a Apple Reseller, and they would have got one in for me, but I imagine they'd too have had to order it in.

4. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

I bought my 17" i7 AG from the Apple store stock.

They also had 15" AGs in stock. I compared the AG/Glossy while in the store on the 15" ones. IMHO, both screens looked great so it made AG an easy choice.

5. Bosmonster macrumors member

Ordered the hires glossy online. I use it almost solely in the evening and a lot for watching video, so the glossy was an easy choice. Also I like the design of the glossy more than the alu bezel of the AG.

6. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Keep in mind your poll will be skewed by the audience. Glossy probably outsells anit-glare by more than 10:1.

cheers
    JohnG

8. gonzaload1987 macrumors regular

Lisa Spring 2010 from Apple Online Store, 17'' 8gb ram i7 working like a dream :D

9. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Nya nya you like silver bezel that ends the display edges abruptly :p

Just joking. :)

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's purely personal preference. That said, I believe their are two reasons that Glossy is popular with people today.

1) Steve Jobs "told us" at MacWorld that "everyone was demanding glossy" therefore Apple was discontinuing matte.
    So for nearly a year Apple customers were deprived of a choice. This at a time when every PC laptop vendor was selling both.
    Then bowing to pressure from customers but unwilling to admit he's less than perfect, Steve silently began offering matte displays in the Apple online store.
    In a typical display of his arrogance, he _charged extra_ for what he had offered as standard for over a decade beforehand.
    Thus we have one year of Apple laptop sales with all glossy displays. This skews the reality of peoples preferences.

2) Continuing to try and push "His Agenda" he floods the stores with MacBook Pros with Glossy displays.
    Thus if you buy at the store your chances of having a choice are slim. People seek instant gratification and have no patience to wait, therefore there are lots of store bought MBP's out there with Glossy by default.

11. IceBreakerG macrumors member

I ordered mine from Amazon. Was about $70 cheaper, plus I had no tax and free shipping.

12. lcseds macrumors 6502a

My local store has the AG systems, but only if you get them at max profit......errrr.... I mean max performance. If you want AG in the store for 15 or 17, you have to get the i7, 500GB options.

13. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Bought mine off of Craigslist, been running smooth!

14. SonicBoom1981 thread starter macrumors regular

Seems most people so far say they've bought theirs from the Apple website..., and more Glossys.

15. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

I always buy refurbished off the online store. I was part of the I hate glossy consortium, but I had to make a choice as I need the express card slot and the 15" suits my needs perfectly. So my options were a early 09 glossy with express or get the mid 09 with antiglare but the silly sd slot. I just can't budge on the express card slot so I went with the glossy and since I only use my laptop at home and at work I've had no problems with a glossy screen and actually kind of like it.

16. Mirabella macrumors regular

My answer is: from "Other Online Website: Antiglare". I got it from MacConnection. It took a long time to come (not Mac Connection's fault, I think) but it was a smooth and positive experience, otherwise.