Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
Hey everyone! Most everyone nowadays, posts their photos on Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram. And there's no denying there's lots of great shots and feeds on Instagram but what I'm wondering is, where do you all post your favorite pictures? You know, you're good shots! Do you post them on Flickr? Do you host them yourselves? Google Photos? What do you do?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
SmugMug is amazing value for money and allows all manner of modification to your site, so you can lay it out how you want to, using simple templates as your base.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Horses for courses. I dont publish in order to sell them, so for friends and family, sharing memories, Facebook. For posting on here and generally putting them somewhere where I can access and enjoy them when out and about, Flickr. Any likes or comments are flattering but I use them only for improving my competency.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: kallisti

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Only here. I used to post on FM, but stopped some years ago. Tried 500px, but I got the feeling that it was "if you like my post, I will have a look at yours".

For personal use and to share with friends and family I use a server with Lychee.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If you have an Adobe Photography CC subscription it includes Lightroom, Lightroom Mobile, Photoshop, and the ability to create your own page on Myportfolio.com. You get up to 2GB of space for the site. You can have multiple galleries each with up to 20 images. Very easy to pick your 20 best images from a Lightroom collection about a given subject, location, or event.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I post some of my photos on a private Flickr account for my personal use and for sharing family events with family. I post some here, and keep others in Adobe's Photoshop Elements Organizer on my iMac.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Here. I store a lot of others on Flickr and local iMac. Like Kenoh, it's good to share here for comments. Not much worthy of sale so this does me.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Is there any way to get high resolution uploads on FB? It broke my heart to see what the compression did to the gorgeous photos I posted from a a7rII

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Is there any way to get high resolution uploads on FB? It broke my heart to see what the compression did to the gorgeous photos I posted from a a7rII

FB has been mangling my stunning skies for years. Only way I have found is to gimp them myself before uploading them to FB. I reduce the resolution down and I adjust in Lightroom so at least I have more control over the degree of damage they do.

If you find a better way I am all ears - A7Rii user too.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I would honestly pay a few buck per month to have high resolution pictures. Even on my phone they looked grainy. On my iMac it looked like pointillism.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Yep. The problem is it cannot handle the smooth transitions and over compresses them.

I tend to link from Flickr now but people tend to not click through that often.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I would honestly pay a few buck per month to have high resolution pictures. Even on my phone they looked grainy. On my iMac it looked like pointillism.

Then go with something like SmugMug. Their "basic" plan which is enough for most users is $3.34 US a month. It's easy to set-up and use and with unlimited uploads and storage, it's hard to beat.

SmugMug also hosts an active online forum, "Digital Grin". It's a community of users that are always willing to help with things like custom coding should you decide to use it.

~ Peter

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
My good stuff goes on my website and Flickr. Client stuff? Facebook. I really should use Instagram more, but I don't like how it wants to crop my stuff and #tags give me the *****.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Only here. I have a Flickr account that I never use. I am not interested in what random people think about my work, but I value the community here.

Reactions: kenoh

jordanneo

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I post them on my web site. I'm a concert photographer and post the best of the shows I attend on www.oneintenwords.com. It's on Blogger and in the beginning would mangle colours, especially blue, pretty badly. It seems to be pretty good now.

John

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
For posting here : Photobucket . Plus multiple hard drives at home ( backups of backups) . Can't be bothered with social media sites like Facebook.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
My site is with Zenfolio.. it's very, very good, reasonably cheap and simple to set up, here is my website: take a look if you like.

As a flickr alternative, I found Viewbug. It's very good, and the standard of work is awesome. Any likes or praise you get tends to come from very good photographers. Great for your moral!

Also it's brilliant for inspiration, and gives you the ability to enter the many, many competitions it hosts.

There are several tiers, some paid, but the free one gives you access to all of the site, but only the ability to enter the competitions marked 'free'.

Check out my page if you like. (Its slightly nsfw so be careful if you're somewhere like that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.