Where does Apple get its politics from?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wonderbread57, Oct 29, 2008.

1. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

I was just curious where Apple's politics and general image comes from. There was a recent story that has been discussed here already about Apple publicly opposing a ban on gay union in California. Does this come straight from the ideals of Steve Jobs him self? Do these ideals just reflect the culture in California or is Jobs something of a trend setter and if so, what motivates him.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

3. wonderbread57 thread starter macrumors 6502

If that's the case then where do the metro sexual themes come from? Must be a mutation in the hippie strand.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Steve Jobs is a former hippie acid head (my favorite drug in college, BTW. It was the only one that I felt actually added to my intelligence, rather than subtracting from it). He's creative and has a vision. People like him tend to look at things very deeply and try to put themselves in other people's situations in order to get perspective on others' points of view. There are huge advantages to this approach, such as being able to design products that lots of people want to buy.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

ever been to art school? art schools (based on my personal experience at RISD) are about 90% liberal (so are colleges in general i suppose, but back to my point). very, very VERY few conservatives to be seen (at least publicly) at an art school. there is also a very large percentage of gay/lesbian/bisexuals at art schools. call it a stereotype, but it is true.

Apple is very much like an art school. very driven, very motivated, very competitive, and very individualistic within the context of a larger whole. highly creative and "we know best" attitude prevails. and to what lee said, very empathic to what other people want/think/like (while still retaining their individualistic nature).

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- it's also why I'm in advertising.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

ANYTHING on the East Side is 90% liberal. :p

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's like asking where the Chamber of Commerce gets it's politics from...

11. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

Steve certainly has some aspect to their leanings.

But frankly it is also very much a California, Bay Area aspect as well.

It is not just San Francisco, since the Bay Area as a whole is quite liberal. And with Apple located in the Bay Area it would make sense that they reflect the values of what certainly are the majority of their employees.

I cannot think of one notable Bay Area company that would take a stand that would eliminate civil rights of their employees. Which is also why there are so many Bay Area companies that are announcing their opposition to proposition 8.

12. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Apple say this isn't a political issue, it's a civil rights issue.