Where does Apple go with 13" MBP in light of new 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickliq, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mickliq macrumors newbie

We've all speculated on what Apple would do with the 13" MBP once it upgraded the 13" MBA to Core i5/i7 processors.

Although the 13" MBP still (theoretically) offers more performance in terms of higher clock speeds, larger hard drives and greater RAM expandability, the lines are definitely blurrier today.

I'm not ready to take the MBA plunge because of its limitations in those areas, but I'm hoping the next step for Apple is either:

1) Introduce an even higher-end 13" MBA [unlikely as they would have done it today]
    2) Offer a higher-res 13" MBP. It makes ZERO sense that the 13" MBP is stuck at 1280 x 800, and it's the reason I had to buy a 15" MBP when they did the refresh a few months back.

I'm assuming that Apple will go the second route along with a design refresh. I'm hoping it's this fall (eg October-ish)...I love my still new 15" MBP but I'd love something smaller/lighter. Oh, and I don't need an optical drive - you can get rid of that!

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

I expect the 2012 13" MBP will have mSATA SSD + HDD options(like Lenovo) and high res screen option.

3. mayuka macrumors 6502a

mayuka

Maybe this will happen quite soon. The MBA 13" has higher resolution. Lets just hope it's non-glossy!

4. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

With the MacBook being discontinued, I think the 13" MacBook Pro is filling that space. They will either bump the specifications a bit or drop the price a bit.

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The new MBA is enough for me not to buy a MBP, anyone want to buy a 7,1 :D

6. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Which is why there will always be a MBP13 and why it will always be at least 2 steps ahead of the 13" Air.

To me, it's more than screen size that differentiates these two critters. No blurry lines from where I sit. Two distinct markets.