Where does you avatar come from? (Sorry, if you aren't in)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
As some MR Members started before the "User name mean" thread & the "whose avatar do you stop for" thread, I wanted to get this running through the members with avatar and let the guys and gals explain what took each one to choose that 'tar for MR.

-Edesignuk & iGary ... :rolleyes: 'nuff said. :)

Me: I could say that I look pretty the same, with my cap, glasses and ear-buds ...

and you?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Nice, AmigoMac! My original avatar was the Om, kind of stylized. This is my second (not counting that I was a Pirate Kacheek for April Fools day :)). It's a stylized picture of a tombstone in Rome, based on a photo I found somewhere on the internet. The tomb has a normal squarish block with the usual adornment, but then it has an angel hunched over it, weeping. But its a little hard to see in icon size, so I might work on something new. Otherwise, this is sort of my sigil elsewhere, and I could always start using it here:

But basically I'm looking for a mixture of the extremes of hope and sorrow. :)

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Diatribe said:
Same here :D I'm taking my toaster EVERYWHERE ;) Saves me from putting up a pic in the picture thread. :p
Then, I can assume we can recognize each other easily ...
Look carefully, I can get you first.
Nice to see you again around!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
virividox said:
mine comes from a picture i took during the christmas/new years break 2003/2004

it was in boracay island philippines in cocomangas bar the night i did the 15 shooter challenge :) good times
I've always been fond of that photo, Virividox! :)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Mine, like my original 'tar, is a photo of Marilyn Manson, who is IMHO one of the more interesting and "colorful" folks on the planet these days. Also a big fan of their/his music - not too deep but not "ooh baby let's get naked" drivel, either. This particular image is from the cover of his book The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.

I've also tried a few other avatars: Jennnifer Garner (thanks again, edesignuk!), Porcupine Tree (album cover of Signify), a RoboRaptor, and a pirate-ized skull for April Fool's Day '05.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
powermac666 said:
Mine, like my original 'tar, is a photo of Marilyn Manson, who is IMHO one of the more interesting and "colorful" folks on the planet these days. Also a big fan of their/his music - not too deep but not "ooh baby let's get naked" drivel, either. This particular image is from the cover of his book The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.
I gotta say, since you're one of the people I quickly associate by avatar, that although I am not really a Marilyn Manson fan, I really feel the themes of anguish and alienation mixed with a desire to be recognized / praised in his / their music. Even in some of the poppier songs like Beautiful People.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mine comes from that little XP thingy some mental asylum patient released on the world a few years ago.

I posted in the user name thread that my 'tar's pretty much based on the fact you'd have to be a little cheap and crazy to use Windows. ;)

BTW, I'm glad to see you've reached 'tard status 840quadra, you've been a very helpful member so far, which is more than I can say for myself. :( Keep up the cool posts.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
mkrishnan said:
Nice, AmigoMac! My original avatar was the Om, kind of stylized. This is my second (not counting that I was a Pirate Kacheek for April Fools day :)). It's a stylized picture of a tombstone in Rome, based on a photo I found somewhere on the internet. The tomb has a normal squarish block with the usual adornment, but then it has an angel hunched over it, weeping. But its a little hard to see in icon size, so I might work on something new.
Don't feel you have to change it. I really like yours at the moment. I've never fully worked out what exactly it was but it's still always fascinated me. There's something really intriguingly beautiful about it. Of course, on the other hand, I'd love to see what you come up with. I love the 'tars with a bit of thought behind them.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
MongoTheGeek said:
Mine is a series of photos of me when my hair started falling out from cancer.

Hair is back, cancer's gone.

Congrats!

I love your way of celebrating your victory!!

mad jew said:
BTW, I'm glad to see you've reached 'tard status 840quadra, you've been a very helpful member so far, which is more than I can say for myself. Keep up the cool posts.
Thanks, I was hesitant on posting up an avatar, but I will see how this goes. If people complain, I will go without. On an other note, I find your posts helpful, and I don't think mine are any better then yours :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
My current one is from some pics I took with my Canon 20D of a inflatable thing in front of a store in down town Warsaw that was having a give away...

D

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Dunno if this attaching stuff will work, but it's the resident of our garden pond (along with a very grumpy terrapin): bugger! didn't work at all. :mad:
Haven't quite got the hang of this...but it's much better bigger :(

I have searched the Forums, but I'm none the wiser on how to link to a hosted image and do the thumbnail thingy. Any advice gladly accepted. :eek:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Blue Velvet said:
Haven't quite figured how to link to a specific post in a specific thread. Any clues?
At least you've got the link thing sussed, which is more than I have. Can I link to an image in the Public folder of my iDisk? And if so, how? Makes me feel barely computer-literate...
:confused: